• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do these Nikon Monarch 7's for sale look suspicious? (1 Viewer)

Well they are listed as new. The seller has a very high rating. They don't look like a knock off. Ebay policy should protect you and PayPal has a you don't get your account charged until delivery. I think you should be OK. However ask the seller some questions. The way in which they respond should give you some clues.

I know where you are coming from, that does seem like a good price, especially when there is a link in the upper right hand corner of the page you linked to a listing for refurbished Monarch 7's for the same price.

Well they are listed as new. The seller has a very high rating. They don't look like a knock off. Ebay policy should protect you and PayPal has a you don't get your account charged until delivery. I think you should be OK. However ask the seller some questions. The way in which they respond should give you some clues.

I know where you are coming from, that does seem like a good price, especially when there is a link in the upper right hand corner of the page you linked to a listing for refurbished Monarch 7's for the same price.

Another big red flag is the no returns aswell.

Nikon Refurbished Binoculars come with only a 90 day warranty from Nikon and the box will clearly state that it is refurbished. (I have been using a refurbished Nikon 10x35 EII since about 2006 and at that time I paid about 50% off the price of a new one.)

I don't know if that is the reason there is a 3 year warranty that can be purchased on these Monarch 7s from "Square Trade."

I doubt if they are counterfeit but they could be returns or even Demos.

Bob

Last edited:
yea ...those are all returns....usually from internet sales....some folks actually buy items, screw around with them for a while...and ship them back with a nonexistent complaint...... .then the seller has to try to resell it....but cant for full price because folks like the original purchaser don't want open package goods....geeeeeez....so then sellers start calling them demo models because it sounds better than returned goods.... others don't even mention the fact that the package has been opened.........some of these goods have more traveling miles on them from all this bouncing around than a traveling salesmen....don't buy an item unless you intend to keep it....don't return an item unless it is truly defective and needs to be rebuilt or scrapped...not that the eyecups don't feel right...or the focus is to slow/fast....come on guys man up and grow a couple...

Last edited:
yea that's a good price and they look fine in the picture....but dont expect them to be hermetically sealed....and don't expect the finger prints on the lenses to all be factory original....his feedback also looks good and legit.....

Last edited:
Hi,

I think the theory of demo/returned units is most probably true. I am guilty of having snagged up a few great deals from those - they are all just fine and if they aren't, there is ebay/paypal which are very buyer friendly.

As for, don't buy if you don't intend to keep it - if online stores are selling clothes via mail order, they must know that returns will happen and ensure that their business can handle those - and binoculars need to fit the user too. Plus at least over here mail-order sellers of new goods have to provide a 14 day returns policy as required by law...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back