• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More birds from around Savegre, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

xyz99

United States
Here is another set, please help with the ID.
Thanks

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 69
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 62
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 66
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 64
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
Location would be very useful.......

1 Immature male Bay-headed Tanager?
2 Sooty-capped Chlorospingus?
3 Volcanoe Hummingbird
4 Dark Pewee?

A

Hi Niels,
Thanks - my CR birds book shows the Rough-legged Tyrannulet in the Savegre area, but it also mentions a bicolor bill. I don't see one here...

Here are 2 other pics of the same bird. Any idea?
Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 63
I still has the feel of a Tyrannulet. Go to the opus here on BF for each possible species, look at each included photo and click the link for the gallery below.

Niels

No it's not.....

I might lean towards Yellow-bellied Tyrannulet, lack of wing bars and yellow right up to the throat eliminate most others?

We'll have to disagree Andy. I don't see a grey-crown on this bird and it has a clear vireo structure. Even if it is a tyrannid, Yellow-bellied Tyrannulet is not a bird of the highlands...So what are you left with exactly?Although I might be tempted to consider Philadelphia Vireo!

Last edited:
No it's not.....

I might lean towards Yellow-bellied Tyrannulet, lack of wing bars and yellow right up to the throat eliminate most others?

We'll have to disagree Andy. I don't see a grey-crown on this bird and it has a clear vireo structure. Even if it is a tyrannid, Yellow-bellied Tyrannulet is not a bird of the highlands...So what are you left with exactly?Although I might be tempted to consider Philadelphia Vireo!

I'd resepctfiully suggest that if your screen doesn't show a grey crown, one of us needs a new monitor?

I could agree to Phil Vireo though, good shout.

You're not Gordon's son by any chance?

A

Last edited:
No it's not.....

Philadelphia Vireo seems the only likely bird that would fit to me. I seem to recall seeing some around Savegre and think they should be fairly plausible in the area.

I'd resepctfiully suggest that if your screen doesn't show a grey crown, one of us needs a new monitor?

I could agree to Phil Vireo though, good shout.

You're not Gordon's son by any chance?

A

Yes Andy, it must be 25 years since we first met...at Netherfield?

On first viewing I had considered the greyish crown a photographic artefact but happy to concede that it's real. Hence the shift to Phil vireo combined with Andrews point about the yellowish throat.

Yes Andy, it must be 25 years since we first met...at Netherfield?

On first viewing I had considered the greyish crown a photographic artefact but happy to concede that it's real. Hence the shift to Phil vireo combined with Andrews point about the yellowish throat.

Blimey, I do feel old, good to see you're still at it, regards to Dad.

Andy

Last edited:
Well, comparing my pics with the CR book's description of a Philadelphia Vireo, I think you are right - bill size, colors, eye line, range...all fit. Thank you!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back