• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would do this to a Magpie (1 Viewer)

PhilCumbria

Saw this Magpie had come to an unfortunate end whilst on a recent walk - what got me thinking however was what could
a) go for and kill a magpie
b) leave it in a tree

could be
c) natural causes and just dropped out of the sky!

FWIW recent sightings of Peregrine and Hen Harrier in the area

any guesses??

Attachments

• DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    842 KB · Views: 148
Peregrine stooping and killing, but too close to the ground to catch it before it ended up in the tree?

I'm wondering if it could have got its wing stuck in a tight gap between two twigs, and not been able to pull itself out again?

Does happen from time to time.

Wouldn't mustelids stash their prey in more hidden locations, though? I think the accident hypothesis has some merit.

Yeah, strikes me as the best scenario also. Unless, that is, a human found it dead on the ground and tossed into the tree for some reason.

Last edited:
It is the Magpie territorial dispute/boundary conflict season currently - maybe another Magpie killed it. There seems no evidence of violence at all though. Maybe the wing trap scenario makes more sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back