• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (13 Viewers)

Spotted Flycatcher showing well in education reserve tall dead alders by sailing pool (north east corner) - my 135th species at upton this year. Depending how they turn out I'll post record shots later.

Update: John's just texted that a Little Egret is now in front of the east hide on the moors.

A first summer Common Gull was on the flashes earlier also.

Last edited:
Cheers Des. thought it must be, but the markings on the rear wing didn't seem to stack up. Perhaps a fresh one?

Mike

The markings as shown in your photo' are perfect for Large Skipper, where as Small and Essex Skippers have relatively plain wings. I've attached one of my images of Large Skipper taken at Upton to illustrate my point.

Des.

Attachments

• Large Skipper 2.jpg
    Large Skipper 2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 74
Is there an Upton Warren Bird Report published each year? If so, could someone let me know how to get hold of a copy, please? Also has anyone written an account of the birds of Upton Warren? I'm sure it would make fascinating reading.
Thanks, Roger

Is there an Upton Warren Bird Report published each year? If so, could someone let me know how to get hold of a copy, please? Also has anyone written an account of the birds of Upton Warren? I'm sure it would make fascinating reading.
Thanks, Roger

Yes to all of the above. Phil (upton-till-i-die) or Mike (Wheatearlp) should be able to sort you out if there are any copies still available. "The Birds of Upton Warren Celebrating 40 years as a Reserve" may now only be available on CD, however

Last edited:
10th July 2011

A good day's birding today - for July anyhow!

Peregrine on the masts, Goldcrest in the Spruces by the entrance to the flashes plus Treecreeper, a Common Gull (1s) dropped in to the flashes.

Juv Reed and Sedge Warblers in hen pool.

Lesser Whitethroat by the sailing pool and the Spotted Flycatcher in the education reserve was a particular highlight.

1 Willow Warbler in the ed res plus two more along the east track.

The Little Egret showed well on the moors before transferring over to the flashes this evening. Adult and juvenile Water Rails showed well in front of the oak tree (second-flash reedbed).

One Black-tailed Godwit, 3 juv Avocets, 1 Dunlin, 16 Green Sandpipers and ~12 LRP's still present.

A selection of images attached:

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher Ed Res UW 100711.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher Ed Res UW 100711.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 133
  • Little Egret Moors Pool 100711.jpg
    Little Egret Moors Pool 100711.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Common Gull Flashes 100711.jpg
    Common Gull Flashes 100711.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 90
  • Black-tailed Skimmer UW 100711.JPG
    Black-tailed Skimmer UW 100711.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 88
Havent looked at any of reports; just an uninformed gut reaction. If anyone's interested and I've got nothing better to do later I may have a work through the stats.

My mistake - I totally forgot the sustainable presence last year in late winter / early spring. I attach a chart of "Little Egret days" (ie the cumulative sum of the daily totals) following its first sighting in 2000 which show the continued increase occurrence of this species although it looks like this may be reversed this year.

Attachments

• Little Egret.jpg
    Little Egret.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks, Roger

Roger,

If you PM wheatearlrp (Mike) he should be able to give you a run down of what reports he has available for both recent and yester years.

"The Birds of Upton Warren" unfortunately only had a limited print run of 100 for the 240 odd pages documenting the birds of the reserve up to the end of 2007. These are all sold out but if you PM me I can organise a CD version.

I am currently toying with an updated version but am not sure of the publishing method; I wasnt particularly happy with printed version or the resulting price. At the minute if I do proceed with this at some point I am considering either a CD only version (although I think many people like to have a physical object), going via a self-publish website (although I may struggle with the colour photos) or simply adding the data to the Upton Warren Birding website (although I would like to use the opportunity to raise more funds for the reserve).

Phil

My mistake - I totally forgot the sustainable presence last year in late winter / early spring. I attach a chart of "Little Egret days" (ie the cumulative sum of the daily totals) following its first sighting in 2000 which show the continued increase occurrence of this species although it looks like this may be reversed this year.

Interesting - cheers Phil.

Shows what an outstanding year 2010 was. Still early days for Little Egrets at Upton this year.

Forgot to mention that a Little Owl showed again on the chimney at Hobden Hall farm again this evening.

A good day's birding today - for July anyhow!

Peregrine on the masts, Goldcrest in the Spruces by the entrance to the flashes plus Treecreeper, a Common Gull (1s) dropped in to the flashes.

Juv Reed and Sedge Warblers in hen pool.

Lesser Whitethroat by the sailing pool and the Spotted Flycatcher in the education reserve was a particular highlight.

1 Willow Warbler in the ed res plus two more along the east track.

The Little Egret showed well on the moors before transferring over to the flashes this evening. Adult and juvenile Water Rails showed well in front of the oak tree (second-flash reedbed).

One Black-tailed Godwit, 3 juv Avocets, 1 Dunlin, 16 Green Sandpipers and ~12 LRP's still present.

A selection of images attached:
To add to Dave's sightings
Moors :- Common Tern 4 lots of chicks/ juvs, 8 in all, 4 of them have fledged, another bird is sitting. 10 adults.
LBBG 25, Lapwing 25, Oystercatcher. Teal 3.
Flashes At last some serious rain for an hour which raised the level by 3cm to 0.33
LRP 15 {11 ads + 4 juvs (2 of our own)}
Green woodpecker , Mistle Thrush, Whitethroat, chiffchaff, Reed warbler 12, Sedge warbler 5, Reed Bunting 12+, swallow family of 5,
The Little Egret roosted in the NW corner of the sailing pool in an alder tree.
B :)John

Last edited:
Roger,

If you PM wheatearlrp (Mike) he should be able to give you a run down of what reports he has available for both recent and yester years.

"The Birds of Upton Warren" unfortunately only had a limited print run of 100 for the 240 odd pages documenting the birds of the reserve up to the end of 2007. These are all sold out but if you PM me I can organise a CD version.

I am currently toying with an updated version but am not sure of the publishing method; I wasnt particularly happy with printed version or the resulting price. At the minute if I do proceed with this at some point I am considering either a CD only version (although I think many people like to have a physical object), going via a self-publish website (although I may struggle with the colour photos) or simply adding the data to the Upton Warren Birding website (although I would like to use the opportunity to raise more funds for the reserve).

Phil
I think you could go for a pre-order before publishing, to gauge how much interest there is and the same could be said for the annual report. On here you could ask people to PM you or Mike. I am sure we could sell more Annual reports. Get people to send the money if you have enough orders to cover the costs

I think you could go for a pre-order before publishing, to gauge how much interest there is and the same could be said for the annual report. On here you could ask people to PM you or Mike. I am sure we could sell more Annual reports. Get people to send the money if you have enough orders to cover the costs

Thank you for your help. I will PM the relevant people. You can count me in for any pre-orders.

Roger

Musk Thistle being biennial means that the basal leaves would have been there last year - it does like Lime but is found well away from any Limestone strata because it is able to take advantage of 'temporary' supplies - around Stourbridge, which is predominately sandy a number of the fields have little clusters of Musk Thistle from time to time due to the dressing of the fields with Lime to raise the PH -

Laurie -

Musk Thistle being biennial means that the basal leaves would have been there last year - it does like Lime but is found well away from any Limestone strata because it is able to take advantage of 'temporary' supplies - around Stourbridge, which is predominately sandy a number of the fields have little clusters of Musk Thistle from time to time due to the dressing of the fields with Lime to raise the PH -

Laurie -

Thanks Laurie,

I was surprised to see it in the education reserve as, to my knowledge, the area is not calcareous and has never been treated with lime. It was on the open sandy area which supports, amongst other things, a sparse community of fine grasses, Lichens, Centaury, Perforate St John's Wort and Common Storks-bill. I always think this area resembles the grass heaths of the Norfolk Brecks. This kind of habitat must be quite scarce in Worcestershire:t:

Phil

Phil,
I've published small runs of material in a lot of ways including books, interactive CD, websites and/or combinations. I've got kit and/materials for some of it - though I was about to dispose of it as I have to move house. If you'd like me to stick an oar in, just send me a PM about the scope of the material (number of pages, photos etc) and your thoughts and I'll let you know where I can help.

I also have some ideas how content can be leveraged for fund raising/promotion.

Paul

Little Egret in front of East hide this morning. Kingfisher Green Sand. Family party of Blackcap along East track. Flashes 3 Avocet circling round. Dunlin, 10 Curlew, 8 Green Sands and 12 LRP. Small flocks of Goldfinch and Linnet. Peregrine circling the masts.
Marbled White in small field by Sailing centre

Little Egret in front of East hide this morning. Kingfisher Green Sand. Family party of Blackcap along East track. Flashes 3 Avocet circling round. Dunlin, 10 Curlew, 8 Green Sands and 12 LRP. Small flocks of Goldfinch and Linnet. Peregrine circling the masts.
Marbled White in small field by Sailing centre

Hi Trev
I notice the lack of a Blackwit...this is the first time in 20 days there hasn't been one.
B :)John

No sign of Black tailed Godwit even when the Peregrine came over and flushed everything. I had hoped that would help raise the count of Green Sands but still only 8 with 1 at the Moors. However the Curlew didnt flush from the Sewerage Field (Got to think of a better name) so the Godwit could have been hiding in there.

No sign of Black tailed Godwit even when the Peregrine came over and flushed everything. I had hoped that would help raise the count of Green Sands but still only 8 with 1 at the Moors. However the Curlew didnt flush from the Sewerage Field (Got to think of a better name) so the Godwit could have been hiding in there.

Trev
How about the very long green grassy area in between the 1st Flash reed bed and the second flash blackthorn thicket in front of the sewage works, field.
or sewage field for short8-P
:-OB :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back