• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

opticron adapter for canon s95 and panasonic kit (1 Viewer)

Alcedo67

Hi, I've bought an opticron scope, the HR 80 GA ED/45. I'm very glad, I think that it's a great scope (considerably cheaper than Swa, Leica, and so on, although it's not obviously so "perfect").

I'm interested in digiscoping (I'm a beginner) and I'm looking for a suitable camera for this scope. I've found a kit with the panasonic fs16 (270€) but I'd like to know if there is an adapter for the Canon s95 (a more expensive camera, around 300€). The canon incorporates RAW format, and panasonic not, and I suppose that there are more important differences between the two cameras, although I don't know if these are significant differences.

I'd like to know your opinions about the panasonic-kit (how does it work?). And I'd also like to know if there is an adapter for canon and, how much does it cost?
Thanks a lot in advance.
All the best,
Fernando

Please, don't hesitate to correct my mistakes!

Fernando - there is no Opticron supplied adaptor for the Canon camera. You may find a universal adaptor that will work.

Cheers, Pete

Fernando - there is no Opticron supplied adaptor for the Canon camera. You may find a universal adaptor that will work.

Cheers, Pete

Thanks a lot, Pete. I suppose the universal adapter for the canon s95 may be a risky choice.
I'm also weighing up the possibility of adapting my SLR camera, a nikon d3100. I know the pros and cons of digiscoping with SLR cameras (a bulkier equipment, etc.) but I'd like to know which adapters and rings I need, and their price. Do you think is this a better option than the panasonic FS16 kit?

Cheers,
Fernando

Last edited:
For you DSLR, you need a Nikon T-mount (part code 40608) and then you have two options:

- Push fit adaptor over the eyepiece. I'm guessing you have the SDL eyepiece in which case you would use 41114 Photoadapter Push Fit SDL (and you might benefit from the 41115 SLR Eyepiece Adapter which is a field flattener)

- Replace the eyepiece with 40215 Telephotoadapter. This gives you the equivalent of a 900mm, f11.3 lens.

Info is on the website here:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/telephoto_slr.htm

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes, I have the SDL eyepiece, and I've seen that the price of the panasonic kit is very similar to the DSLR first option (the second is not really convincing for me, because I'd like to change quickly from digiscoping to observation). So, I wonder if it would be possible to buy the panasonic kit, which includes the 41114 photoadapter, and the nikon t-mount, and so, though it's a bit more expensive option, I could choose between digiscoping with compact camera (faster and better option for carrying it) or with my SLR nikon. What do you think?
Thanks again and I must confess that my scope is impressive, but opticron after-sales service too!
All the best,
Fernando

A couple of queries - I've a similar set-up - ES80 with a canon S95. So far I've been given three options, as the S95 isn't threaded:-

1) SRB mount that lines up for you but you hand hold the camera

2) SRB universal mount that moves camera in and out so you can use scope as well

3) Opticron equivalent of 2

Any thoughts on which is best?

Thanks.

So, I wonder if it would be possible to buy the panasonic kit, which includes the 41114 photoadapter, and the nikon t-mount, and so, though it's a bit more expensive option, I could choose between digiscoping with compact camera (faster and better option for carrying it) or with my SLR nikon.

The 41114 adapter includes both 28mm and 42mm threads so yes you can switch between the two types of camera mount.

Cheers, Pete

Lawts - Generally speaking any universal adaptor is a compromise so none is going to be particularly better than another overall. Some offer simpler connection to the eyepiece/scope, some set up more quickly than others, some are less bulky but offer less flexibility and so on.

Another you may want to look at which I've heard good things about is the Baader Planetarium product:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/baader-microstage-clickstop-digital-camera-adapter.html

Cheers, Pete

I love my FS16 kit with my Opticron Scope HR66. It is so easy to switch from camera to observing and small enough to carry in a pocket.

Andy - Thanks a lot for your reply, I wanted to know some user's opinions about the kit, because it's not very easy to find them.

And thanks to Pete again for your help. Eventually, I think I'm going to buy the panasonic kit and the nikon t-mount too.

Cheers,

Fernando

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back