• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August 2004 'PRIZE' photo competition sponsored by Zeiss (1 Viewer)

IanF

For this months challenge we are having - 'Butterflies and Insects'.

This is a PRIZE competition. Admin and our sponsor Zeiss are offering a pair of Zeiss Victory 8x20 compact binoculars valued at £279 to go to the winner of this months competition.

'Butterflies and Insects' will be loosely interpreted to include - butterflies, moths, spiders, beetles, dragonflies and all other creepy crawlies. No slugs and snails though! If in doubt please ask by replying to this thread before posting your entry - as once made it cannot be swapped.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification - they will be rigidly enforced - the Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entries to have been taken in the last twelve months ie. since 1st August 2003.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entries to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight GMT(BST).
4. Your entry must be of a wild subject - not one in captivity or cultivated.
5. Location taken to be included.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The competition is open to all members who joined prior to August 2004. The prize will be awarded to the entry attracting the highest number of votes. If a tie then Admin/Moderators will decide the winner. Moderators are excluded from winning the prize.
11. Please add the Common Name if possible - this rule has been relaxed due to difficulties encountered (please add the scientific name too if you can).
12. Details of photo equipment used to be included.

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions 2004 gallery.

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st - all qualifying entries will be added.

As this is a prize competition comments on entries are not permitted until after voting has taken place.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits. The proposed monthly themes are listed in the Competition forum - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

Last edited:
Great another prize Competition, its just a shame I hate creepy-crawlies.

I noticed you have added another rule regarding the photo equipment used is now a requirement.

I think it is a sensible thing not having comments on until the end,if you feel it is that outstanding you just have to wait until they have been all put into the Gallery.

Judging by the amount of butterflies posted on this Forum there should be no shortage of entries,should be a very interesting Comp.

christineredgate said:
Judging by the amount of butterflies posted on this Forum there should be no shortage of entries,should be a very interesting Comp.

I predict there will be 200 entries this time around. You can get good pics of insects with just about any digital camera these days so i think a lot of people will enter. Sadly i don't have many insect picks, but i'm working on it. ;) Needless to say the voting will be wide spread and it will be a close race.

christineredgate said:

Trouble is, I've already posted my best shots in the gallery - I haven't got 'The' shot held back for this comp!

No problem Adey. Photos already in the Gallery can be entered into the competition, just ones entered in previous competitions can't.

A new copy needs to be uploaded though. We can't just transfer the photo to the comp. forum due to the comments it may have already attracted - none are allowed on prize comps.

is the rule on common/scientific name going to be suspended for this month? I'm asking as the majority of Australian insects still haven't been named, those that have have mostly not been published in lay publications, and of those that have, most don't have common names.

Having asked that, I'll probably submit a picture of a feral bee.

MikeMules said:
is the rule on common/scientific name going to be suspended for this month? I'm asking as the majority of Australian insects still haven't been named, those that have have mostly not been published in lay publications, and of those that have, most don't have common names.

Having asked that, I'll probably submit a picture of a feral bee.

My question is if i get the name wrong am i disqualified? Some insects are hard to determine.

Hi IanF,
Didn't know why this rule is set for entering the competition.. I myself came to know of this forum only from our local group mail this month. Unfortunate for people like me who want to enter this competition but is held back with rule no 10... Anyway may be next time.

Regards
Atanu Mondal
Bangalore, India

10. The competition is open to all members who joined prior to August 2004. The prize will be awarded to the entry attracting the highest number of votes. If a tie then Admin/Moderators will decide the winner. Moderators are excluded from winning the prize.
:C

I think this rule was put in to stop the "take the Binoculars and run, never to contribute to the site again attitude".

In other prize competions there has been numerous people that have just put a picture in for the competitions, never put any other pictures in the gallery or contributed to a thread since that time. I think this is a sensible rule for the "Prize Competitions" and it is a lot fairer to the people who regulary enter the "Fun Competitions" month in and out who do it for the fun and love of it, and kudos as well!

As Helen states you can enter the next competition.

Yes, the reason for the introduction of this rule is as has been stated.

In previous 'prize' competitions there have been a number of submissions from people that have never contributed to the site previously or since.

Please do not put comments on the "Prize competition" entries until the competition is over.

I have already had to delete 4 comments.

Butterflies and insects? That's good news..... I've caught a brown hairy caterpillar.... I could enter it!!!! Yay!!!! :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back