• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Champion Day Out. (1 Viewer)

smeltmill

Last week I combined two hobbies, marrying meteorology and ornithology, and set off for the Humber Estuary for both bird and storm watching.

The rain was spectacular – and so were the birds.

Highlights: in the beginning all Nimbo (rain bearing), which eventually gave way to spectacular Cumulus Congestus and Vellum.

What about the birds? I hear you cry. Oh yes – Icterine Warbler, Wryneck – in pairs, Pied Flycatcher by the dozen, Spotted Flycatchers, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Greenshank, Ruff, Knot, a selection of Bar- and Black-Wits, Black Tern……..and there were dozens of drenched swallows crowding for shelter in a bush, waiting for a lull and looking as if they would not last the day – but did.

A call at a water works on the way home gave two or three treats in the form of Little Gull – in quantity – kingfisher, which I never tire of, and a delightful pair of Garganey.

Mrs GB-S gave valiant support with an umbrella to keep the telescope and observer dry(ish). What a brick! She is not designed for continuous precipitation.

Now, there’s a thought – a BF gamp perhaps?

Regards.
G B-S.

smeltmill said:
What about the birds? I hear you cry. Oh yes – Icterine Warbler, Wryneck – in pairs, Pied Flycatcher by the dozen, Spotted Flycatchers, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Greenshank, Ruff, Knot, a selection of Bar- and Black-Wits, Black Tern……..and there were dozens of drenched swallows crowding for shelter in a bush, waiting for a lull and looking as if they would not last the day – but did.

A call at a water works on the way home gave two or three treats in the form of Little Gull – in quantity – kingfisher, which I never tire of, and a delightful pair of Garganey.

Regards.
G B-S.

Such good birding around the Humber Estuary, and right on my doorstep. (Just to rub it in) What was the name of the water works, Tophill Low? Presumably you went to Spurn, there was a barred warbler there a few days back.

Dear Elizabeth,

Well I just might.
I have never seen W&G.
But then who needs a weapon of mass deception when we have the Bird Forum?
As you have no doubt guessed we are back on the road again and what a joy it is.
Brrrum Brrrrrum Brrrrum.

Looking forward to your 25 word précis of the attributes of BF.

Hoping Mr Bigg is now repaired.
Regards.
G B-S.

smeltmill said:
Dear Elizabeth,

Hoping Mr Bigg is now repaired.
Regards.
G B-S.

I didn't do anything to him - I'm the one in trouble now - but improving!

I think I have a short W&G clip somewhere - if so, I'll PM it to you.

Dear Chris,

Yes correct on both counts.

You may have solved a mystery. There was a very bedraggled warbler that a couple of bird watchers asked me to help with and they were suggesting a Barred Warbler, but I certainly couldn’t ID the little mite.

Regards.
G B-S.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back