• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RF Falcon - report and hopefully inspiration (1 Viewer)

streatham

OK it was yesterday but who's going to be pedantic when you've just gone to get a look at the first Red-footed Falcon to grace the United States.

I must admit that I'm not a great chaser of birds - thus far my list of 'twitched birds' amount to about three birds, anyway after some advice from a local birder and some peer pressure on behalf of some of our fellow BF members (thanks) I decided to make the 4hr run up to the Cape to go try find the bird. Unfortunately the earliest I could make it was Sunday - a risky 5 days after it had been first reported.

Things looked to have gone badly wrong on Saturday when a fellow member of BF reported seeing the bird flying and then dissapear. After spending the afternoon in a deep depression I checked back with Massbird and he had reported that it had returned - and even dropped me a personal message to report the last time it was seen by himself - thanks Glen.

Travelling up Sunday the weather wasn't looking great and initially I was getting reports that the ferrys weren't running or that they were booked up (both untrue). After a 4hr dash up the motorway (with multiple stops to ring and check the latest news on the sightings) we got to the ferry - typically missing one by minutes after having to go through the rigmarole of finding parking. The ferry crossing took about 40 mins and was a bargain price of 6 bucks. At the end of the ferry you can pick up a communal Taxi (I got one straight away - apparently not everyone was so lucky but I think things had slowed a little) which will deposit you at Katama airfield - the going rate of which seemed to be 15-20 dollars.

On arrival I spotted a guy with a scope peering intently into it across the runway (the airport is tiny and the main business of the airport seems to be the odd helicopter and a bi-plane pleasure ride service). The first look I got of the bird was through his scope as I fumbled for mine. It was perched apparently as per usual on one of the many yellow signs dotting the airport runway.

And what a magnificent bird it is too - no siberian flycatcher or dusky warbler this but a foot tall raptor of grace and beauty with stunning red legs and bill. A falcon too (which I've always had a love of since my dad taught me how to spot a kestrel by their hovering flight style as a kid back in the UK) even my wife ooohed and ahhed as she got her first look (and for a complete non-birder such as herself was an amazing response).

The bird was beautiful and completely lived up to expectations. I was worried that I might feel a little flat after the anxious days of waiting and the long trip itself and knowing that all i'd done was follow someone else's instructions of how to find this bird - not a chance. The bird was amazing with that graceful kestrel like hover as it took off over the runway before swooping down on some poor unsuspecting grasshopper. I can't really descibe the experience apart for to say that it was completely magical and knowing that it could be the one chance in my life to get to see this bird here made it all the more so. I spent a couple of very happy hours with the bird before it was time to get the ferry and head on back to the cape and to make use of one of my wife's great aunts hospitality for the evening. The bird seemed pretty happy too - an apparently abundant supply of food and pretty removed from any bothersome humans - he seemed very relaxed and even the arrival of a helicopter didn't seem to phase him at all.

Probably the most entertaining and enjoyable parts of the day were showing the bird to a myriad of intrigued passers by - i think I must have lent my scope and bins to about 20 or 30 people in the 2 or 3 hours I was there. I was telling everyone there that they had to start birding as they'd be guaranteed a bird on their US list that would turn most US birders green with envy ;)!!!!

Anyway enough of my tedious ramblings - I just had to get it down. More importantly I also want you all to know that if you think that there's any way that you can get to Martha's Vineyard to see this bird then you have to do it. Call in sick, hitchhike whatever you have to do just try your best to get there - there were birders there from all over the US and the atmosphere there is amazing because of that. The bird is currently moulting and seems pretty content wheer it is my feeling and hope is that it may be around a while at least. If you're serious about your birds you have to try and do this trip - I promise you the bird won't dissapoint.

Luke

Latest updates: http://virtualbirder.com/bmail/massbird/latest.html#2

Goodness Luke, I am almost ready to call the boss and tell him I have an emergency to take care of. Oh, if only I could. I know this is something I will be kicking myself in the butt for. Nevermind about "tedious ramblings". It read like a good action story.

Amazing how much fun it is sharing a sighting with others isn't it? Okay, you are my hero of the day for doing just what you wanted to do. ;)

Awe thanks KC.

It was a real pleasure to share the experience - the funniest people being a couple of teenage girls who were walking past with their family (who had all had a good look) and obviously thought it was going to be too uncool to have a look at some bird - after a few minutes of watching the bird I could hardly get my bins back off of them - lol.

Of course they do migrate south (just not usually on this continent) in winter so lets hope he'll be stopping off in SC on his way to Mexico or wherever.

Luke

What a great report, Luke, and I'm so happy you got to see the bird!

Just for kicks, I checked cheaptickets.com, and they have mid-week, RT fares from Phoenix to Boston for under $240. Decisions, decisions.........

DO IT KATY!!!!!! Being serious for a minute I realise that i'm lucky enough to be only a few hours drive away but really this might be the only chance for US birders to add this bird to their list.

As an added piece of information Katy If you look back through the massbird sightings you can actually get a bus from Boston Logan Airport to Martha's Vineyard so you can get all the way there on public transport.

Luke

Egads, it is soooo tempting, isn't it? Wish I were a lister per se. :) But of course flying from the west US means a minimum two-day trip which, if I were 30 years younger, I could probably do without sleep or hotel. But that ship has looooooooong sailed so that cheap plane ticket, while a fantastic bargain (and offered by several different carriers, too), coupled with hotel, public transport or renting a car, would put it to being over a $500 bird. Guess I'm just not a twitcher at heart! Or pocketbook. ;)

Still, I'm so delighted that so many US (and especially western US) birders are getting to see this phenom. I'm loving all the reports and photos!

Thanks again, Luke!

Loved your report, Luke. It wasn't tedious in the slightest; it was great to share your excitement. I think it's quite something when these birds turn up in Britain, but for one to make it all the way to America... well... it's just mindblowing.

Excellent report Luke, and it's really interesting to read about a bird which made it the other way, i.e. Europe to NA, as it's nearly always the other way around. This European birder has never seen a Red-footed Falcon, anywhere! Presumably the US birding fraternity has called all the local raptor collections and menageries to make sure they haven't got anything missing ;-)

E

Well done Luke, they are great birds. Just don't be blaming these mystery 'BF peers' (whoever they were) for getting you hooked on twitching!
A great read, thanks.

He he,

Oh my god Chris have I actually become an official member of the twitcher set ;) - and I was so proud of my adherance to mainly birding my local patches. I am now converting all of my friends - today we were out and I have virtually insisted that they all head up to get the bird this thursday - now 6 of them are going - aren't I wicked - lol.

Luke

ps Edward funnily enough there was a report of a falcon being lost on the Cape earlier in the month - thankfully someone did a little research and it turned out to be a kestrel - phew!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back