• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Please - NE New Mexico (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Caught this little one at Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge in NE New Mexico on June 13th. Any help in the ID would be appreciated.
Lisa

Attachments

• Unknown with dragonfly1 June 13 2008.jpg
    Unknown with dragonfly1 June 13 2008.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 159
It's a Pewee. Western Wood-Pewee is the one on the Refuge bird list and it is the most probable candidate but the bird gives somehow the long tailed,crested, bulky impression of a Greater Pewee (not on the list)... Any more pics?

I've been fooled before in another thread with a Say's (that's my lack of experience with that sps) so cautiously I'll wait for some more inputs...

Not sure based on this photo, but it looks to be an unusual location for a Pewee. Pete Dunne notes regarding Western Wood-Pewee that it generally perches "more than 10 feet above the ground". Also, Greater Pewee likes to sit high in trees. But these preferences do not rule anything out of course.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
To be honest, I couldn't justify why it's not a sun-bleached female Black Phoebe. There seems to be quite a bit of definition between breast and belly and that tail looks really black.

To be honest, I couldn't justify why it's not a sun-bleached female Black Phoebe. There seems to be quite a bit of definition between breast and belly and that tail looks really black.

Unconventional thinking, but I do not think so. What we can see of the bill looks too long. The lower part of the throat looks lighter than the rest of the breast, and there is not near enough contrast between the breast and belly in my opinion. The dark coloration also goes down too far, especially in the center of the breast/belly -- Black Phoebe typically shows a white "peak" in this area. (see here: http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5608407-lg.jpg). I could not find a photo of a Black Phoebe that comes close to this bird. Finally, northeast New Mexico would be out of normal range for a Black Phoebe (though the refuge checklist indicates it is a rare visitor).

Cordially,
Jim

Last edited:
This bird continues to puzzle me. Not only is Greater Pewee not on the refuge checklist, but the only records eBird has for it in New Mexico are about four records in southwestern New Mexico. So Greater Pewee would be quite an unusual bird in this area. Moreover, this bird appears to be carrying food, which would suggest nesting activity (in addition to the time of year); and a Greater Pewee nesting at the refuge would be even more unusual. The crest also seems a bit more subdued than shown in motmot's Greater Pewee shots.

The legs seem too long for a Western Wood-Pewee.

Eastern Phoebe is listed as being occasional on the refuge, and has nested there. Legs and bill seem long for it though also.

There are no buffy or yellowish tones suggestive of Say's Phoebe, though I would not rule it out.

I tried to find a photo of an Ash-throated Flycatcher with underparts that looked like this, but could not.

Hopefully we can get some more photos.

Best,
Jim

Thanks all for the great discussion so far.
I think this picture might show jforb correct. I didn't see any buff on the bird as he faced me, but I was looking into the sun and maybe that had some affect. When I brought up the exposure on this shot, you can see some buffy undertones. So possibly a Say's Phoebe, which is a yard bird for me, so don't understand why I couldn't ID it. Don't know why I didn't include this shot to begin with.
Will await more replies.
Thanks again.
Lisa

Attachments

• Unknown with dragonfly2 June 13 2008.jpg
    Unknown with dragonfly2 June 13 2008.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 105
I agree the second photo looks good for Say's Phoebe. Contrasting black tail plus sitting in the open on a wire (do not think I have seen a Pewee do that).

Best,
Jim

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim.
And everyone else, thanks for the great discussion.
Lisa

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back