• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID questions, Morelos, Mexico (2 Viewers)

alancairns

Sorry, no pictures.

The first was a small warbler (or vireo) type bird. Its upper body, head, and wings were tan. Its plumage was quite unmarked, but it had two clear features. A prominent white eye ring, and white outer rectrices. I can't find it in my book.

The other was a more rounded passerine. It was cinnamon above, and ivory below. There were no outstanding plumage markers, and I couldn't see its tail clearly. It was small- no bigger than a winter wren. The outstanding feature was its bill, which was long and straight and slim. It must have been the length of its head. It was noticeably red. The nearest I have come is the Long-billed gnat wren, but we are a bit ou of range here.

Habitat, tropical garden at 2000 m.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Alan

Do you think #1 may have been a Bewicks Wren? Their plumage can look quite plain and they show white in the tail.
For #2, yes, thats too high up and habitat wrong for Long-billed Gnatwren. Sounds like a Wren though. Maybe House Wren? Or how about Canyon Wren?

Do you think #1 may have been a Bewicks Wren? Their plumage can look quite plain and they show white in the tail.
For #2, yes, thats too high up and habitat wrong for Long-billed Gnatwren. Sounds like a Wren though. Maybe House Wren? Or how about Canyon Wren?

Thanks. I think #1 may have been a Bewick's wren, and though #2 was rather wren-like, I can't quite place it. A house wren is as good a match as any, though I'd like a longer bill.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back