• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make your own... (1 Viewer)

mattsharps

Garden Birder
Hi Guys

i thought this would be a nice thread for everyone to contributr towards. Basically, if you have any feeder, tray etc that you have made yourself post it here and let others try it out. I would be particularly interested if anyone has a 'do-it-yourself' made tray that catches falling seed from feeders.

Get Contributing!

MattSharps

This is not a seed tray but it's related.

It's my way of keeping Woodpigeons and Collared Doves from feeding off the seed on the seed tray. It's made out of chicken wire. Cut out a strip about 8 cm wide which is flat on one side (so cut along a wire that runs through the chicken wire) but on the over side cut through the middle of hexagons to leave bits of wire sticking up. You can make it more substantial by making it a 16 cm strip, cutting the middle of hexagons on both sides and folding it in the middle. Then wind it into a spiral and fold some of the wires over at appropriate points to fix the shape.

Attachments

• seed tray.jpg
    seed tray.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 75
I'll post a photo tomorrow, but it's easy and cheap to make seed feeders from a plastic bottle, a chopstick, some wire and a piece of plastic from another bottle.
I say cheap, I counted the cost of the bottled water that I tipped down the sink as the only suitable bottle the garage had was fizzy water...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back