• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nyjer feeders (1 Viewer)

abp

Since I have put my feeders out, I have attracted a few species of garden birds. At the place where I work I have seen Goldfinches and I was wondering when I put my nyjer feeder up, will it attract Goldfinches to my garden or will the other birds be attracted to the feeder.

Kindest Regards

Brian Pemberton :clap:

Niger feeders certainly work for us, though Goldfinches are just as happy if not happier with sunflower hearts. They do still feed on the niger and we get the Tits and Greenfinches trying to have a go with some degree of success.

I'd certainly say Niger was worth having a go :t:

Niger seed certainly worked for me. As Ian has said they are also very partial to sunflower hearts. In my case however they didn't find the sunflower hearts until after putting out the niger seed. I had previously seen only 2 goldfinches in 28 years. It took only 24 hours for the next 2 to arrive and since then we've had loads, max count around 40 at once but normally they arrive about 4 - 10 at a time throughout the day.

Dave

My nyjer feeder attracts goldfinches and at certain times of the year siskins - loads of them in fact! Have also been getting bullfinches visiting it recently too. Definitely recommend putting up a nyjer feeder - I never had any of these birds before I put one up, although I agree with others - goldfinches do seem to prefer sunflower hearts.

I tried very small nyjer feeders last year and they did indeed attract goldfinches in very quickly, though like other people have found, they seemed to prefer sunflower hearts. Only the blue tits seemed to be interested in feeding on the nyjer feeders, and within a month or two, the nyjer had gone mouldy or germinated (mild, wet winter). Has anyone else had this problem. I've just invested in a larger feeder, but I won't put too much food in it at a time, and see if this solves the problem.

Ermmmmm Help !

I would like to offer my visitors Nyjer seeds, but I need to know what to ask for (I live in Holland) could one of you kind people send a photo of these seeds ? :bounce:

Paul G said:
Ermmmmm Help !

I would like to offer my visitors Nyjer seeds, but I need to know what to ask for (I live in Holland) could one of you kind people send a photo of these seeds ? :bounce:

Have a look here, Paul - there's a pic on the CJ website:

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/shop/index.htm

or here:

http://www.jacobijayne.com/moreinfo.php?info=NS&page=WLFD&type=SFD&from=search.php&search=niger

or here:

http://www.gardenbird.com/CGIBIN/PERLCON.PL

Note the alternative spelling - niger! I think in America it is called thistle seed. I have read that it is important to use a proper niger feeder - they have very tiny slits for the birds to get at the (tiny) seeds. Certainly when I put a supply in a dish, it was ignored.

PS - I've just double checked these - in CJ you'll have to search for "nyjer", and the last is now not available at this moment!!!

Last edited:
Paul G said:
OK Great thanks Elizabeth,

So they are like a small black sunflower seed.

A very, very, very small one!

I buy my niger seed by mail order (there are several more companies that I know of), and buy it in bulk (25kg)!!! Do you have lots of companies that supply bird food and feeders - it's big business over here?!!!!

Hmmmmm...........thinking €€€€€ . Imagine making money from something you like !!!!

No company springs to mind........Im off to visit google nederland for some information and if I cant find anything I'm in business o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back