• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A mixed day's birding (1 Viewer)

IanF

After reading an article about Castle Eden Dene in this month's Birdwatching I believe, I decided to have a trip up there this morning. Normally I'd have gone swimming on a Sunday morning, but as the sun had come out I decided to have a trip out birding instead. The day seemed to start off well with four Kestrel before I'd even left Billingham - every one of them a female. Sure enough the fields beside Samsung revealed the usual half a dozen Partridge too.

I headed up the A19 towards Peterlee turning off for Castle Eden and then parking at the entrance to the castle on the south side of the Dene. There was a heavy frost and the village gardens of Cold Hesledon seemed to be teeming with birds - that should have set the alarm bells ringing!

Setting off down the nature trail into the dene below the castle I think I must have walked a mile before I actually saw a bird. There were the odd Wren, Blue Tit and Great Tit calling and several trees with Woodpecker holes looked promising but not a bird in sight. Two miles later and I'd seen each of the above except the Woodpecker, along with a few Blackbirds and Song Thrushes. Sure enough when I returned to the car the gardens were still full of feeding birds. I guess a cold January day wasn't such a good one for a visit to the dene.

I then headed back south taking the coast road to Hartlepool. I quick visit to the Headland yielded Eider, Purple Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Redshank and Cormorant. I called in at the Marina where a Great Northern Diver had been reported yesterday on Birdguides, but all I could find were a Guillemot, Red-breasted Mergansers, Cormorants and the odd Curlew.

Sticking on the coast road I headed through Seaton Carew where the waders were on the grass behind the promenade where they normally gather to feed when the tide is in. Continuing south I headed back to Port Clarence and the old Hargreaves Quarry to try once again for a photo of a Long-eared Owl. This was the third time I'd tried for a photo.

I located three of them in no time at all and managed to get within 40 yards for a photo. Luckily two were perched in the same tree and I managed a couple of shots of them though partially obstructed by the branches.

At least it was a good ending to a mediocre morning.

Attachments

• LEO 180104Picture 017o.jpg
    LEO 180104Picture 017o.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 100a_filtered.jpg
    Picture 100a_filtered.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 109ao.jpg
    Picture 109ao.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Nice shot of the owl Ian, the Dene will be a more productive area later in the year.

Spent the day in the Druridge bay area myself triyng to get a few shots of birds, but very cold and windy so only a distant shot of whoopers for my troubles.

Your day didn't turn out half-bad, did it?

I really like the shot of the owls. I'm still waiting to find them in the wild for myself.

It's been a bright sunny day here today, and I probably should have gone out to see what I could find, but it was just too cold. I think our high was about 17F, and it's to drop into the single digits tonight. Brrrr!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back