• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic announce new models! (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi all,

thought you might be interested to know that Panasonic have just announced several new cameras including a new Superzoom successor to the FZ18, the FZ28:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072104panasonicfz28.asp

headline specs:

27-486mm lens (• LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT
• 11 elements in 8 groups
• 3 Aspherical Lenses / 4 Aspherical surfaces
• 2 ED lenses
• Wide: F2.8 - F8.0 Tele: F4.4 - F8)

10.1 mp
slightly larger sensor but higher pixel density compared to the FZ18.
high sensitivity mode with ISO up to 6400 (but I don't expect it to be much if any improvement over FZ18 IQ).
improved HD movie mode with zooming available during recording
Venus iv processor (same as in TZ5)
new AF Tracking function
improved resolution screen and improved EVF.
A new colour bracketing function records three types of images - colour, monochromatic and sepia - at a single press of a button.

New Creative scene modes:
• Pin Hole
• Film Grain

So, basically, not that big of an upgrade to the FZ18. :cat:

So, basically, not that big of an upgrade to the FZ18. :cat:

I agree. In fact, it is a downgrade in some respects. Slightly less maximum magnification (486 mm versus 504 mm for the FZ18), and a slower lens at maximum telephoto (F4.4 versus F4.2 for the FZ18).

I guess the good news for FZ18 owners is that the new model seems unlikely to make their camera obsolete, though of course one cannot draw definite conclusions until the actual model has been tested. I suppose the larger sensor might reduce noise somewhat.

But thanks for the heads up kitty.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I guess it would come down to what the techies have come up with, but a faster engine would not be bad if they have managed to make the noice reduction system less problematic. I always run mine at minus 2, and sometimes wish I could lower it even more.

Otherwise, I agree, I do not jump around wishing to make a switch; on the contrary, I plan to use my present camera for a while yet.

Niels

I guess it would come down to what the techies have come up with, but a faster engine would not be bad if they have managed to make the noice reduction system less problematic. I always run mine at minus 2, and sometimes wish I could lower it even more.

Otherwise, I agree, I do not jump around wishing to make a switch; on the contrary, I plan to use my present camera for a while yet.

Niels

As I love to take short movies with these cameras (I have the FZ8 but that does not matter here), the possibility of now being able to zoom while recording DOES make me jump.

In my case it would also mean extending the zoom range considerably. But I'll wait till I see some reviews. The less than stellar noise situation and the problems with the focus in the long tele range would need to be bettered as well for me to really buy this new model.

I was going to buy the FZ18, but with only a £20-30 difference in price, I'm thinking maybe the FZ28 is a better bet. Only major downside seems to be the smaller and poor performing viewfinder. But the better screen is said to compensate for this. There are some interesting comments from a real FZ18 fan on the newer camera here. Look at the links on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.tlc-systems.com/artzen2-0082.htm

I was going to buy the FZ18, but with only a £20-30 difference in price, I'm thinking maybe the FZ28 is a better bet. Only major downside seems to be the smaller and poor performing viewfinder. But the better screen is said to compensate for this. There are some interesting comments from a real FZ18 fan on the newer camera here. Look at the links on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.tlc-systems.com/artzen2-0082.htm

Hi, thanks very much for this most interesting link. Too bad they worsened the previously fine viewfinder. It may be the reason I'll skip this model. But that is because I already have a well functioning FZ-8. I guess, if I had to buy a new one, I'd also go for the 28 instead of the 18.
In my case - as I mentioned before - I would have loved the higher resolution videos and the zooming possibility while taking them.

A viewfinder of lower quality would make the FZ28 a non-starter for me. I use the viewfinder on the FZ18 90% of the time, and I suggest that all who take bird photos should, it is so much easier to point the camera in the right direction using the viewfinder. A good LCD just does not compensate for this.

Niels

Well I've opted for the FZ18 and the battery is charging right now! The better viewfinder sold me in the end. It's a shame the FZ28 has sacrificed the quality of this function so vital for us. It's especially a shame as it looks like the high iso and video capabilities are significantly enhanced in the new camera. For a nice descrption of the viewfinder issue see here: http://www.tlc-systems.com/artzen2-0090.htm. This really nice photographic blog is updating frequently with comparisons of the FZ18 & FZ28. The home page is here with menu on the right of the page: http://www.tlc-systems.com/

I have not tested the FZ28, but would really hate to loose the use of a viewfinder. If you don't go with this one, I would hold back for just long enough to see what the two new canons (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08091703canon_sx1is_sx10is.asp) really are up to, and also what the newest nikon superzoom (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpp80.asp) really is for a beast. At the time I purchased, I felt confident FZ18 was the right one for me, and that is still the case; I do not foresee myself change in a few years except if a problem arises.

Niels

Edit: I recently had a problem with an old Canon powershot and had excellent service with free repair from Canon USA, that is one reason to see if the canons are up to par with the offering from other sources.

I dont want to lose the viewfinder. However I see alot of alternatives to the fz-18 now, with new canons and other brands. At the same time the fz-18 is getting harder and harder to buy since it is running out of stock. Fast decision needed!

I dont want to lose the viewfinder. However I see alot of alternatives to the fz-18 now, with new canons and other brands. ......

I have now bought a FZ-28 despite the shortcomings. As for the viewfinder, you don't exactly lose it. But I find it hard to see the full picture as I need to wear my glasses all the time. Also, with the sun slightly to the side, it is now even more irritating than before. I have a FZ-8 to compare with, and I stuck with the FZ Panasonic because of its fine Leica lens. Over all (except for the sun problem mentioned), it is not harder to pick up a small flying object, be it a bird or an approaching aircraft. So the camera's EVF is definitely useful. But it is far from optimal.

The reason I bought the FZ-28 is the video feature (HD and zooming possibility while taking a video). First tests have turned out quite convincing. But here, there is one odd thing I noticed today. When taking videos of flying aircraft, the autofocus works realtively well at first. But when the aircraft has flown past and becomes smaller, all of a sudden the autofocus loses the object. It can easily be refocused as one starts a new video of the same aircraft that is still getting smaller. Same problem with a flying Red Kite.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back