• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cost Rica I (1 Viewer)

Nickk

Few more posts to follow with photos I took in Costa Rica last January.

Attachments

• UFO56978.jpg
    UFO56978.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 83
  • UFO56948.jpg
    UFO56948.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 71
  • 56497.jpg
    56497.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 82
  • UFO56488.jpg
    UFO56488.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 79
  • UFO56485.jpg
    UFO56485.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 84
No books to hand right now but

1 looks like a Seedeater, White-collared?
2 Can't recall the difference off hand between Blue-Grey nad tropical Gnatcatchers, but on range isn't Tropical more likely?
3 Baltimore Oriole?
4 Yellow Olive Flycatcher
5 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

James

No books to hand right now but

1 looks like a Seedeater, White-collared?
2 Can't recall the difference off hand between Blue-Grey nad tropical Gnatcatchers, but on range isn't Tropical more likely?
3 Baltimore Oriole?
4 Yellow Olive Flycatcher
5 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

James

Agreed, except..

2 - Tropical Gnatcatcher
3 - Seems to show alot of white on the greater coverts, is this not more indicative of Bullock's Oriole?

I was leaning toward streak-backed for the oriole.

The gnatcatcher is likely a tropical, but I'm not familiar enough to eliminate white-lored. Can one of the tropical experts enlighten me?

I was leaning toward streak-backed for the oriole.

The gnatcatcher is likely a tropical, but I'm not familiar enough to eliminate white-lored. Can one of the tropical experts enlighten me?

I believe that on white-lored female, the white should only be in front of the eye, the superloral and there would be black tracing the rear edge of the ear coverts?

2 - Tropical Gnatcatcher or White-lored female. I don't see the eye-ring that makes it a Blue-gray and the white superciliaries are narrow as in the White-lored. Was this taken in northwest CR?

3- I went for Bullock's also

4 - Sure looks like a flycatcher bill but I don't see any white around the eyes or wing bar that would indicate a Yellow-olive. Love those flycatchers!

5 - female RB Grosbeak

3- I went for Bullock's also

Isn't Costa Rica too South for Bullock's?

Stiles and Skutch notes that Bullock's "has been seen" in Guanacaste, but Baltimore is the expected of the Northern Oriole "complex". And after taking a closer look at the field guides, I switch my vote to Baltimore. I thought it looked like a lot of white in the wings, which is why I thought streak-backed, but the black on the forehead wouldn't be present on a streak-backed. It would be on a Baltimore.

And after checking the guide, I'm going with tropical for the gnatcatcher. I think the strong gray on the breast favors that over white-lored.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back