• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OSME Regional List (2 Viewers)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
OSME Regional List - 3rd Edition

The OSME Regional List of Birds - 3rd Edition Consultative Draft June 2008 - has recently been published at:
http://www.osme.org/ORL/intro.html

Compared with the 2nd Edition Dec 2007, it includes two new splits not recognised by most other authorities:

• Charadrius atrifrons (split from C mongolus as an allospecies)
  • Passer hemileucus (split from P insularis)
Milvus (migrans) govinda is considered a potential split.

Richard

OSME Region List v2.3

www.osme.org/orl/index.shtml

[Although announced on MEBirdNet on 2 Feb 2011, I've just realised that the release of ORL v2.3 doesn't seem to have been mentioned on BirdForum.]

Thanks to Mike (MJB) and his OSME colleagues for continuing to develop this useful resource.

Richard

OSME Summer Meeting

OSME Summer Meeting & AGM - Saturday 16th July 2011 - BTO, Thetford, Norfolk, UK
www.osme.org

Of special interest to regulars of this forum...

14.15 The Taxonomy of Socotran Birds
Guy Kirwan
This talk discusses the taxonomy of birds breeding on Socotra with a special focus on the archipelago's endemics. Since the OSME survey in 1993, there has been a considerable upsurge of interest in the status and distribution of birds (and other biota) on these Yemeni islands, as well as their relationships and systematics. As a result, the number of generally recognised species endemic to Socotra has risen by at least three, while on the other hand a number of subspecies usually considered unique to the archipelago are probably best treated as synonyms of often widespread Afrotropical taxa. The talk will focus on the author's own work, including some ongoing and still unpublished, but will also cover other recent publications that have discussed Socotran bird taxonomy.​

Blair, Preddy & al-Sirhan Alenezi 2016. The OSME Region List of Bird Taxa. v3.3β (Jul 2016). OSME. Now online.

The issue of a β version is to allow a deeper analysis of several papers cited in the issue. The β version contains preliminary interpretations, but meets the deadline of 1 July. The β version will be superseded once any changes from the deeper analysis have been incorporated.
MJB

Thks. Only regret, there are no figure.
...which was already noted [here]; it seems the supplemental material (a table and a figure) was lost, perhaps in the editing process.

(But I stand by my earlier comment a bit lower down on this page: they do not provide any support values and, as the analysis was just based on barcodes, support was certainly very low at some/many nodes. I would not interpret this analysis as overturning convincingly the results of earlier multi-gene studies. I am also a bit unclear which species/genera were included in the data set. The only info we are given is: "One hundred and six COI sequences were obtained from the GenBank. A total of 19 species of Calidris and 12 species of Tringa were analyzed (Table S1). Numenius arquata and Numenius phaeopus were used as outgroup." 12 spp of Tringa would represent all the species of the broad genus [incl. Catoptrophorus and Heteroscelus], except guttifer for which there is no sequence in GenBank. 19 spp of Calidris would represent all the species of the genus as currently defined by IOC: Micropalama included, but Aphriza, Limicola, Philomachus, Tryngites and Eurynorhynchus excluded. I see no clear suggestion in the text that these were included at all in the analysis.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back