• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatidae (1 Viewer)

Reeber 2015

Has it had poor reviews?
Not as far as I'm aware. But wildfowl have already been well covered in ornithological literature in recent decades, so it probably won't be widely seen as a 'must have'.

Btw, first published in French in 2015 by Delachaux & Niestlé, Paris as Canards, cygnes et oies d'Europe, d'Asie et d'Amérique du Nord.

PS. Actually, the Bloomsbury price reduction is presumably just a result of the publisher's Christmas sale.

Last edited:
Not as far as I'm aware. But wildfowl have already been well covered in ornithological literature in recent decades, so it probably won't be widely seen as a 'must have'.

Btw, first published in French in 2015 by Delachaux & Niestlé, Paris as Canards, cygnes et oies d'Europe, d'Asie et d'Amérique du Nord.

PS. Actually, the Bloomsbury price reduction is presumably just a result of the publisher's Christmas sale.

Well, I just got my copy and a first quick look at it leaves me impressed. The plates alone are really worth it! Many (and I really mean many!) hybrids are illustrated both in photos as well as plates.

To be honest, the text is rather dissapointing: I haven't checked the ID stuff yet, but the text about range and populations is really poor... From a WP rarities point of view it just lacks so many records (eg, no mention of vagrancy of Lesser Whistling Duck in the Middle East, no mention of the ringed group of Snow Geese in the Netherlands (and thus proving genuine vagrancy), just a casual mention of the occurrence of Lesser Scaup in Europe (where you would expect at least a mention of the recent dramatic increase in records!), and these are only just a few species accounts I have just checked... If only someone would have assisted the author with these observations and the book would have been really excellent.

However, every species also has a paragraph about its status in captivity which I think is a huge plus. I mentioned the excellent plates already and the photographs are also (mostly) good.

So all in all a book worth buying (and to be honest: who can resist buying this book for such a low price!): the plates are very thorough; one thing that cannot be said about the distribution and movement section, unfortunately...

Sheldgeese

Forthcoming...

Kopuchian, Campagna, Di Giacomo, Wilson, Petracci, Bulgarella, Barnett, Mattus, Blank & McCracken (in press). Demographic history inferred from genome-wide data reveals two lineages of sheldgeese endemic to a glacial refugium in the Southern Atlantic. J Biogeogr.

Sheldgeese

Forthcoming...
Kopuchian, Campagna, Di Giacomo, Wilson, Petracci, Bulgarella, Barnett, Mattus, Blank & McCracken (in press). Demographic history inferred from genome-wide data reveals two lineages of sheldgeese endemic to a glacial refugium in the southern Atlantic. J Biogeogr.
Kopuchian, Campagna, Di Giacomo, Wilson, Bulgarella, Petracci, Mazar Barnett, Matus, Blank & McCracken (in press). J Biogeogr. [abstract & supp info]
...continental C. picta picta and insular C. picta leucoptera populations have not experienced detectable levels of gene flow. While the latter two populations are considered subspecies, the populations of C. rubidiceps show slightly higher levels of differentiation (Fig. 2d, cf. Fig. 3d) and are not recognized as different taxonomic units. Based on our results, we suggest that continental and insular populations of the ruddy-headed goose (C. rubidiceps) should be considered different taxa. Differences in morphology, behaviour and ecology have also been suggested between these putatively different taxa (Chebez, 2008) and require further study. ...
Carboneras & Kirwan 2015 (HBW Alive):

Last edited:
Anser indicus

Chun-Yu Mu, Yan-Hui Su, Bin Wang, Zheng-Yang Huang, Yang Chen, Yang Li, Ran Liu, Qi Xu, Guo-Hong Chen & Wen-Ming Zhao. The complete mitochondrial genome of Anser indicus (Aves, Anseriformes, Anatidae). Mitochondrial DNA Part A.

[abstract]

True Geese

Jente Ottenburghs, Hendrik-Jan Megens, Robert H.S. Kraus, Ole Madsen, Pim van Hooft, Sipke E. van Wieren, Richard P.M.A. Crooijmans, Ronald C. Ydenberg, Martien A.M. Groenen, Herbert H.T. Prins. A Tree of Geese: A Phylogenomic Perspective on the Evolutionary History of True Geese. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 24 May 2016.

[abstract]

Jente Ottenburghs, Hendrik-Jan Megens, Robert H.S. Kraus, Ole Madsen, Pim van Hooft, Sipke E. van Wieren, Richard P.M.A. Crooijmans, Ronald C. Ydenberg, Martien A.M. Groenen, Herbert H.T. Prins. A Tree of Geese: A Phylogenomic Perspective on the Evolutionary History of True Geese. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 24 May 2016.

[abstract]

Had a look at it on Sci-hub; a few interesting points:
  • Chen not supported, with [Anser indicus [Chen spp.] [rest of Anser]]
  • Brent Goose is just one species; subspp. diverging about 1 m.y. ago, with other geese tested all diverged by 2 m.y. ago
  • Bean geese paraphyletic w.r.t. Pinkfoot: [fabalis [brachyrhynchus] [serrirostris]]

Had a look at it on Sci-hub; a few interesting points:
  • Chen not supported, with [Anser indicus [Chen spp.] [rest of Anser]]
  • Brent Goose is just one species; subspp. diverging about 1 m.y. ago, with other geese tested all diverged by 2 m.y. ago
  • Bean geese paraphyletic w.r.t. Pinkfoot: [fabalis [brachyrhynchus] [serrirostris]]

With regards to your second point: I am not buying that divergence has to be beyond a given number of years for that to correspond to speciation.

Niels

But the, to be consistent with the divergence times [fig.2], you should probably also split Branta (Branta bernicla, Rufibrenta ruficollis, Nesochen sandvicensis, the white-cheeked goose group to Leucopareia...?).

That sandvicensis is not embedded in the white-cheeked goose complex after all (contra Paxinos et al 2002 [pdf]) is interesting as well.

But the, to be consistent with the divergence times [fig.2], you should probably also split Branta (Branta bernicla, Rufibrenta ruficollis, Nesochen sandvicensis, the white-cheeked goose group to Leucopareia...?).

Ya !:clap:

And the Nobel prize of Science goes to... ?

Last edited:
Anser indicus = Eulabeia indica , Chen caerulescens and rossi + Philacte canagica and the remaining Anser. Problem solved.

That sandvicensis is not embedded in the white-cheeked goose complex after all (contra Paxinos et al 2002 [pdf]) is interesting as well.

Uggh! No thanks! Dozens of monotypic or very small genera doesn't help anyone!

Agree one can't use a timed cut-off for species; I was merely mentioning that the article authors don't recommend splitting them, and give timings for likely divergences.

Koblik & Red'kin 2016

Коблик ЕА, Редькин ЯА. 2016. Горячие точки таксономии гусеобразных фауны России и сопредельных регионов. Русск. орнитол. журн. 25(1288):1811-1827.
Koblik EA, Red'kin YaA. 2016. Heated points of the taxonomy of waterfowl of Russia and neighbouring regions. Russ. Ornithol. J. 25(1288):1811-1827.
[pdf]

The suggested taxonomy is presented as a list at the end of the paper, that should be understandable even if you don't read Russian (the columns show respectively: the accepted Russian name; the scientific name (in some cases followed by a different name that was accepted by either Stepanyan 2003 or H&M3, in square brackets); the subgenus; alternative Russian names; the status in Russia ("гн.": breeder; "ед. гн.": sporadic breeder; "зал.": vagrant)).

(The suggested merging of Lophodytes and Mergellus is based on Donne-Goussé et al 2002 [pdf here]; unfortunately, this is wrong -- the Smew sequence used in this study is highly similar to the Hooded Merg sequence because it is a Hooded Merg sequence.)

Коблик ЕА, Редькин ЯА. 2016. Горячие точки таксономии гусеобразных фауны России и сопредельных регионов. Русск. орнитол. журн. 25(1288):1811-1827.
Koblik EA, Red'kin YaA. 2016. Heated points of the taxonomy of waterfowl of Russia and neighbouring regions. Russ. Ornithol. J. 25(1288):1811-1827.
[pdf]

Error, not in format pdf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back