• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sick House Finch (1 Viewer)

Aikisean

Hi,

For the past few days I have noticed a lone female House Finch with crusted-over eyes at my feeder. I soon came to realize it has House Finch Disease and is fatal. I've read that the feeder should be cleaned or taken down altogether if I see others with the disease. Is there anything on the market like a medicated bird food to help the Finch recover that I can buy? Is there any options besides letting nature take it's course that I can do to help the bird?

Thanks

First off - a warm welcome to the Bird Forum.

What you are seeing in your finch is the Finch Eye Disease. From all indications of what I am seeing this year, it is worse than ever. Over crowding can spread this disease quickly. If you are seeing more than one bird infected, it might be a good idea to remove any feeders that are not open. Tube feeders tend to spread this quicker as there is a smaller opening for the birds to get to the seeds and this spreads the disease quickly. Scrupulously clean feeders will also help in keeping this problem down but it is hard if you are keeping yours clean and your neighbor is not. I have resorted to removing all feeders for a couple of weeks to disburse the population and cut down on the problem. It's hard to do but sometimes necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back