• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starlings. (1 Viewer)

roosmum

I've just seen, yet again, (BBC2), the footage of Bill Oddie watching the masses of starlings settling to roost.

Yet again it has made my hair stand on end!

roosmum said:
I've just seen, yet again, (BBC2), the footage of Bill Oddie watching the masses of starlings settling to roost.

Speaking of this, My mum has only just rememberd that she'd seen the same thing, two years back, in the local ASDA carpark. At least I know where to look near me.

ant

Wonderful wasn't it. Although I wish they'd shown more of the starlings and less of Bill's back.

Starling roost.

Bea said:
Wonderful wasn't it. Although I wish they'd shown more of the starlings and less of Bill's back.

Hi Bea and RS.

Starling roosts are really spectacular. Blacktoft Sands is, or has been a regular roost for some years; I haven't been to check it out for a while. When I last saw it there were many thousands coming in from all directions and forming a swirling cloud. The sight and sound was mind-blowing. There was also a Peregrine present, diving into the throng and trying to pick one off. After some time, when the roll-call had been taken, and all were present, they all dropped into the reeds just like someone had pulled a blind down, and were gone from sight, but the noise continued for a while. A truly magificent half-an-hour.

Regards to you both.
Baz.

Hi Baz,

I haven't been at Blacktoft Sands late enough in the day to see this spectacle but many years since I worked in Bradford and regularly saw this on a much smaller scale. Clouds of starlings used to circle around before landing on the building ledges and in the city centre trees. What a noise they made and, of course, what a mess! I don't know if this still happens, the buildings have probably been made starling proof by now.

Regards
Bea.

Hi All
Am I the only one that thinks the chatter of a flock of starlings is nice to hear, the sound always reminds me of walking through Newcastle at this time of the year and watching them roosting on all the window sills and trees, but I must admit they do make a mess below them.

Take care

Starlings

roosmum said:

Hello roosmum yes it was verry good just to watch the patterns in the sky,
I was a little bit mifed that Bill did not at least try to count them, after Bill's program stayed and saw the next prog with Gorden Buccanon i think that who he was, verry good camera work on the wildlife of Mull.

regards walt-m

Hi roosmum
I went out for a couple of hours today to St. Marys Lighthouse just past Whitley Bay and saw these and thought of you, its not quite as good as Bill Oddies spectacular show but they still put on a good display.
Hope you like the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 37
Fat Rat said:
Hi roosmum
I went out for a couple of hours today to St. Marys Lighthouse just past Whitley Bay and saw these and thought of you, its not quite as good as Bill Oddies spectacular show but they still put on a good display.
Hope you like the picture.
Hi Fat Rat, :hi:
Nice one :clap:
Looks like a good day to be out too.

Hi FR

Great picture, have you counted them yet?

We don't seem to have a roost in my patch, I suppose I could go the extra miles to Frampton on Severn or wherever. There used to be a huge roost under a railway bridge in the centre of Bristol but I think that's dispersed.

Bill.

bill moss said:
Hi FR

Great picture, have you counted them yet?

We don't seem to have a roost in my patch, I suppose I could go the extra miles to Frampton on Severn or wherever. There used to be a huge roost under a railway bridge in the centre of Bristol but I think that's dispersed.

Bill.

Hi All
I was reading yesterday that starlings are arriving at Westhay Moor Nature reserve in Somerset in large numbers and thought I'd share this quote with you...
The trust's Peat Moors officer David Reid said ".... last year we estimated the combined flock numbered around 7 million."
Asked how you go about counting that many birds, David added "you count the wings and divide by two".
3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back