• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Secret Birdwatchers (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk said:
...and you can fit in some serious conservation angle like don't put out slug pellets in your garden if you are concerned about the lack of Song Thrushes etc, etc

I do that at work when someone comes to the till with slug pellets. 'Get birds in your garden?' I ask, 'oh yes, but I haven't seen a thrush for ages' comes the reply. 'Don't put those infernal things out then, they can kill thrushes which eat slugs and snails' I advise them and 9 times out of 10 the slug pellets remain unbought. :bounce:

whomes said:
My wife is gradually getting interested but is afraid that if she does a lot of birdwatching she'll start growing hairs on her chin and drinking pints! (Many apologies to the ladies of this forum, beerdrinkers or not, clean shaven or not - I am trying to educate her).

Hmmm [*feels chin*] thought there was something I forgot to do before I left home this morning... ;)

Last edited:
I am very open about being a Birder, I even read my bird mags at work. I think real friends won´t give a hoot what your hobby is, and the ones making funny comments are either very immature or not bright enough to have an interesting hobby themselves, as for family, my brother-in-law and his wife are both Birders and the rest of my family support my hobby to the extent that most birthday presents have something to do with birding(books mostly) to my sister driving me up to the Birdfair when I fly across to go to it.

Proud to be a Birder!! :bounce:

I'm also frighteningly open about my hobbies. As well as birdwatching I go diving and am interested in Astronomy (another good use for binoculars). Most people do think it's a bit odd at first but show them a bird or two and they soon begin to take a bit of interest. I've put up posters of common garden birds in our crewroom and it's amazing how many people start ticking off the things they have seen. We had a female Sparrowhawk take up residence in our hangar lately. She was only there for a few days but when I pointed her out to everyone who asked me why I was looking up at the pigeons they all took an interested. Most people had never seen one before.

The biggest problem I seem to have is convincing people that the names I give the birds are real and I'm not having a laugh at their expense.

wolfbirder said:
PS Cyclops , I live near Codsall now (Bilbrook), just moved out from Whitmore Reans a year and a bit back.

Ah so you managed to escape from wolves then! ;) so where about in bilbrook are you now,anywhere near cherry tree lane,which is where I used to live until 2001

Scamp123 said:
I'm also frighteningly open about my hobbies. As well as birdwatching I go diving and am interested in Astronomy (another good use for binoculars). Most people do think it's a bit odd at first but show them a bird or two and they soon begin to take a bit of interest. I've put up posters of common garden birds in our crewroom and it's amazing how many people start ticking off the things they have seen. We had a female Sparrowhawk take up residence in our hangar lately. She was only there for a few days but when I pointed her out to everyone who asked me why I was looking up at the pigeons they all took an interested. Most people had never seen one before.

The biggest problem I seem to have is convincing people that the names I give the birds are real and I'm not having a laugh at their expense.

What names are they unsure of?

Plenty of secret birders on birdforum. Either that or plenty of birders who have parents with unusual choices in what to call their children.

Krispo said:
What names are they unsure of?

Hen Harrier got some abuse off the lads - "you're having a laugh"

Few people believe in the amount of tit and finch species in this country -"are you winding me up?"

Striated Caracara - "is this for real?"

Grey Wagtail - "so why is it yellow then?"

Eider - "thats not a bird, it's a filling for duvets and pillows"

Great Northern and Red Throated Divers also got some stick this weekend - renamed by my diving buddies as "Deep Throated Divers"

Years ago it would have led to a lot of stick from my mates even though thay all took a keen intrest in the out doors it was fishing and shooting based. At the time if one of them had an intrest in watching birds i would probaly have ribed them about it just as mutch as anyone. Times change and attitudes change now its a normal every day thing to be a birder and nobody realy gives a hoot. When i have been spyed out with my gear and got the whats all this then you a twitcher now daf. I genraly give them a shot of the bins while i set up the scope. Then zoom in on what ever bird thay are looking at and say check this out. The next words are oh wow.or something similar. I find on the whole pepole get quite enthusiastic with a decent view. better than the telly is another. I supose its a far more mainstream hobby now than it was twenty years ago. Bu***ed if im going to be embarssed about it. Another thing i was in a hide the other day with two young doleies and a super tanker captain where else are you going to get a cross section like that all chating away learning from each other as equals. F****ng great hobby i love it

NaturePete said:
I'm impressed if you're pointing them out from the office window in Morayshire!

Ha hA, good one. This bird came up in conversation as it was one of the species I was loking forward to seeing on my recent trip to the Falklands. Unfortunately, I didnt get to see any!!!!!

Larry Wheatland said:
Plenty of secret birders on birdforum. Either that or plenty of birders who have parents with unusual choices in what to call their children.

And that's the members. There are always 4 times as many Guests on here and they're completely secret.

wolfbirder said:
Near the Spar shop mate, 100 yards from the Woodman.
Oh the woodman,lovely lively place,not! Hey i sometimes get down that way,so if i'm there and i see a guy with binos pointing skywards its probably you! ;)

Well sorry, but I think silence is the way to lose your hobby, more importantly - to lose our wildlife.

I talk openly about conservation issues, especially to kids, try to raise awareness of the issues, try to get other people talking about it.

For all those who talk about football (ad nauseam ?) please think - football isn't such an important part of our culture because we are _good_ at it ! it's because we share our interest, talk about it.

Mike.

I'm quite open about my bird watching... now. I've got to the stage where i don't care what people think of me and my hobby. As long as I enjoy it, that's all that matters to ME.
In saying that... i've only just got back into birdwatching after a long time. When i was younger i simply stopped because it wasn't considered 'cool' to be doing it and i even resented being forced out with my parents.
Looking back on it now as an adult, i'm glad my parents dragged me out there, i'm glad that i had the chance to experience it as a child. I just wish i hadn't stopped as a teenager.

It's funny I took quite a lot of stick from my 'pub mates' for being a birdwatcher (comparable in their minds to trainspotters) but once my focus switched to insects the derision very quickly became an interest. I've moved away now, but every time I return I still get asked "I have this bug in my garden...what is it?" type questions. Although the dodgy photo of me with "The Mothman Returns!" title has finally been removed from behind the bar :D

I think Johnny Rotten almost made insects cool and geekily trendy.

It strikes me that although it is impossible to generalise, many people come out of this shell as they get older and less self conscious as to what others think about them. Should i be bothered about what others think about my hobby? Clearly the answer is no. In reality tho, I would get murdered by them and I dont want them shouting across a packed pub - here comes the twitcher etc.....

paulwfromtheden said:
I must have the oddest combination...a Millwall fan who loves birding and plays the classical guitar!!
Fortunately at the Den the only birds that get discussed are those known in South London as 'slappers', so I can keep my hobby well hidden.
I did once see a Peregrin over the Den and nearly gave the game away by pointing at it and saying 'look!!'....

Hi Paul,

Thats sort of what I thought for such occassions when, fr instance, these guys from Wolves come driving down the M42 on the way to Selhurst Park tomorrow and, as they approach the Stokenchurch cutting they spot the Red Kites - how can they be quiet amongst their mates. They'd just have to give the game away??????

Wolfbirder - It'll happen!! I'd like to say see you at the match but as there will be at least 3 of us there you may not be able to recognise me

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back