• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit miffed. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

To put it mildly. I went a walk this morning on my local patch, the object of which was to get some photo's of something I had spotted earlier in the week. The something was meant to be a little surprise as I had found a pair of nesting green woodpeckers and an ideal spot to digiscope them without them being disturbed. Off I went this morning loaded with all my kit with the intention of getting some good shots for the forum and.... they've sawn the bl##*y tree down!!!!! Sorry about the outburst but, why! at nesting time! absolutley ridiculous. I hung around for a while but perhaps it's a good job that no one turned up, I was in no mood for being nice. Surley there are laws to protect these things, some of those trees must be well over a hundred years old.
I did get these shots which some kind soul may like to ID for me which I will post here and then go to work.
I do hope no one messes with me this afternoon, I feel like a Silver back with tooth ache!

Attachments

• DSCN3189-10057.JPG
    DSCN3189-10057.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3189-10058.JPG
    DSCN3189-10058.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Its a female blackbird Charlie.

Its very bad news about the Green Woodpeckers, who in their right mind would interfere with trees at this time of year. As well as Green Woodpeckers being on the Amber list its a crime to destroy a nest. I would be very tempted to find out who is ultimately responsible for this and report them. There's details of how to go about reporting a wildlife crime on the RSB site.

Stay in Silverback mode and get the b**g**s!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I suspected it was a female blackbird but was put in doubt by the white bib with brown spots in it, there were also alot of spots in the brown chest featers as well.
I might well pursue the tree matter, If anyone has any info that would assist me in talking to the right people I would be gratefull.

I'd be like a bear with a sore head too if that had happened to me. Keep us informed of what happens please.

Agree about the female blackie...just like the one I've got here!

Hi Charlie and ladies,
I too would be so spitting mad re the Green Woodpackers!!!!!
Find out who owns the land and therefore who cut the tree down and IF they had permission,mail them expressing your anger at their actions....also contact your local newspaper....in these days of being "green" despicable actions like this should be highlighted and brought to the fore!!!!
Let us know how you get on Charlie and good luck.
Best wishes,

Little wonder you are so angry, Charlie. The best way forward is to find out who owns the land and who gave permission for the felling. Good luck. Nice lady blackie, btw.

See what you can find outand post it up. What a bunch of scum bags. We had greens nest in the willow tree at the botom of our garden in kent one year and you cant miss them its like having a car alarm going off the whole time!!

Hi Charlie,

Oh do I sympathise with you! I'll bet you could have spat nails at the b.....s (what a thought). I'm so very sorry to hear that Charlie. Keep a look out at nearby trees though as I'm sure they'll be looking to find another home straight away. All's not lost yet.

You really do need to report it your local Wildlife Officer (at the local Police Station) though, he's the one you need to approach first as it is against the law as Bea says. There is an act that prohibits the destruction or interference of nests at this time of year, though I can't think what it is, but Bill will know.

Strangely enough we've been watching our Greens to try and see where they're nesting, but (and I hope it doesn't turn into anything too sinister) during the last 2 weeks all we hear on weekdays is the noise of chainsaws (may just be 1, but..)! We've already noticed a lot of branches lopped off...due to power lines I think, but the noise of those things still goes on in the distance and it makes you think on reading your post. We do have a lot of woodland all around us so I hope it's 'just' the branches, but even so, why not at a time when it doesn't affect Wildlife at all. Why don't they ever think of Nature first and do these things at different times!!

Good luck with the WO Charlie.

Sue.

Hi Charlie,
I'm furious too! What the h*** is wrong with some people?
I can see you have been given sound advise about what action to take, please keep us updated.

I'm truly sorry Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

I'd be hopping mad too, that's nothing short of vandalism.

You should certainly report it to the Police and to the RSPB. You can do that by telephone 01767 680551 or go to

www.rspb.org.uk/policy/wildbirdslaw/report.asap

The problem is that the RSPB may not be able to do much as Green Woodpeckers are not Schedule 1 birds; the law (Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981) says that it is a criminal offence to disturb nesting birds at or near the nest of species listed in Schedule I of the Act. Green Woodpeckers are not listed so I don't know how the law stands in that case.

I still think that it's criminal but I'm not the Law.

There is also a local RSPB Group in your area, Sec. Dave Lummis, Tel. 01283 219902. Why not give him a ring.

Bill.

Hi Charlie,
Ooooh I'm with you and everyone else on this. So b****y maddening!! I hope there is something you can do to get 'em, if there ain't then there should be!! Good Luck with it Charlie and I so hope Sue is right, and the Woodpeckers do find somewhere else and have a successful brood. Update us as and when please Charlie. What a pity........and what a wonderful photo that would have been!!

Thank you all once again for your support and advice, but at the moment I have been overtaken by events and as serious a matter as this is, it may well have to be put on hold for a while.
After finishing work last night (my last 2-10 shift) 'Our Gert' my son and myself went for an end of week treat and had a couple of beers. On our return we recieved a phone call to inform us that 'Our Gerts' father had been taken to hospital, so we ended up down there until 03-15 this morning (which happens to be Friday 13th). Managed to get some sleep but when I got up I have found water dripping through the ceiling.
What a day...........

Sorry to hear all that Charlie....I do hope things are ok with your Father in law and that the water isn't too much of a problem!
I hadn't even realised it was Friday 13th.....mind I was born on the 13th so maybe I'm immune to the superstition? lol!
Best wishes,

Charlie, I am so sorry to hear about your f-in-l and the dripping water. Sending you best wishes for everything.

Best wishes from me too Charlie. Last Friday 13th (October '06) was a bad one for me when my car got pranged from behind. My OH has refused to let me out today...... ;)

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

Ah well, they say that troubles come in threes, sounds as though you've got all your's out of the way together.

Sorry to hear about 'our Gert's' Dad, hope it all get sorted quickly.

Bill.

Hi Charlie

Its understandable that you've had to put bird matters on hold, I know how worrying it is when elderly parents are ill. Hope your Father in Law will be OK soon and that the water problem isn't as bad as it first looked.

Hi Charlie
I can can understand your fury; just reading your post made my blood boil.
If you could convince them that the Woodpeckers were nesting, why not try the police. Most forces have Wildlife Officers these days, and they might take up the cudgel. Whatever you do, good luck; and please keep us informed.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Charlie,
I'd have been mad too! What is it with these people ~ the first hint of a bit of nice weather and they're out there, cutting down, trimming, clipping ~ dont any of them watch any kind of wildlife programmes at all????
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Hope he's feeling better soon, and that you manage to sort out your water problem.

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back