• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It doesn't pay to assume. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
This afternoon I was sitting in the house when I heard such a racket outside. At least two Blackies were throwing a right wobbler. I went out to investigate, thinking it was the damn cat from over the road, and I banged something on the wall to fetch it out into the open. To my surprise a female Sparrowhawk flew out from behind the small holly bush in the middle of the lawn. It had oviously just killed, and me going out had put it up before it could have it's tea. It went over the fence into a neighbour's garden and flopped down out of sight, because the racket continued for a few minutes. I don't know about it spitting feathers, I certainly was.
I will not assume again, until the next time. LOL!!

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Baz,
Phew! That was a close call, I bet you have two very grateful Blackies in your garden. Aww, I can imagine them protecting the nest, sounds like they put up a jolly good fight! Hooray!

Hi Paul.I can't think of an answer to that one except that at least,you got off your behind and found out what was going on.If you hadn't made that superb effort ,you would never have known about the drama.Life is full of surprises.
I can remember taking my wife b/watching and it started raining heavily so we sheltered under a large tree for a wile until a b/bird started scolding .We were getting soaked and I told my wife that it wasn't scolding us so I was going to clap my hands and see what happened .Immediately a roebuck sprang off thro' the undergrowth.Lesson? Next time a little bird whispers in your ear,listen to it.LOL

maurice

Hi Baz,

Not sure which way round to take this one. For sure I'd be hoping that it hadn't got one of my breeding Blackies but on the other hand I'd be very annoyed that I'd disturbed it AFTER making a kill and reading through your account maybe that what you mean.

If it WAS a fresh kill and she only went a short distance she might well have come back to it once you were out of the way. Did you go check later?

Bill.

Hi Bill.
It definately didn't get a Blackie - too small. The Blackies were just 'shouting' at it. It did have a kill when it flew over the fence, but I couldn't see what it was. I think it had dropped into next door's garden to finish its meal. There was no sign of feathers in my garden.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Baz,
The same here re a racket and cats....it usually is a cat but as you found it's not always necessarily so as they say!! lol!!
Best wishes,

Hi Baz

As you might have previously gathered, I like cats, but for the past three mornings I've been woken at 5.30ish by my two nesting Blackies making a right din. Yes, each time it was because next door's cat was sitting on the shed roof right under the conifer where they're nesting. If any early riser had seen me hanging out of the bedroom window with a large water pistol they'd probably report me! I want to fix some holly twigs on the roof to deter the cat but I don't want to disturb the birds. She seems to be spending more time at the nest now, do you think it would be safe to go near or should I stick to the water pistol and hope that I don't sleep through the racket next time.

Another situation that proves your title Baz...this morning I was convinced that I had a Jay either in or very near to my garden. As this is most unusual, I checked carefully from where the sound was coming, only to see one of 'my' Starlings calling just like a Jay! Clever chap. ;)

Hi Bea.
If you manage to place your deterrent quietly and reasonable quickly, I know you will be o.k., I've done a similar thing in the past.
Good luck, and please keep us posted.

All the best.
Baz.

evening all,
I had the same sort of experience early one morning. (just as the sun was rising..........) anyway. I was making tea when I heard a cufuful in the alley beside the house. I thought a cat had got a blackbird so I charged up the back steps shouting just in time to see the tail end of a bird of prey fly up the alley without his breakfast. luckily, the blackbird escaped unhurt.
I've sounded out the word cufuful and I think I've spelt it right. Not sure really, it's the first time I've ever written it!
Happy days
Rose.

Hi Baz,
As a cat owner/lover meself, I was glad to read a cat wasn't responsible....this time anyway! But I do know the frustration of a cat you don't want in the garden! whilst I control the comings and goings of my own, I try to deter neighbouring ones. I too use Holly to deter them from crouching under the shrubs, placed on the ground around the base of the shrubs, it works very well.
There's always mixed feelings about the Sparrowhawk kills isn't there?? but it's Nature and they have to eat too......but......I'd rather it didn't happen in my garden!! although so saying....I do love to see 'em!! :h?:
All the Best Baz,

Hi Baz. That will teach you. Those moggies do come in for some stick I bet. I'm forever banging on the window and chasing them out of my garden.

I do like them Bea. But when they carry off one of my Dunnocks or a Greeny I give them a piece of my mind ;) .

Roy

Hi Rose,

I know what you mean about the spelling! These message boards have us writing more than most of us have done since we were at school and we do use words that are normally only spoken.

For the record....it can be carfuffle, curfuffle or even kerfuffle.....according to my dictionary. End of today's lesson!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back