• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a MeFOTO RoadTrip travel tripod? (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
I was wondering if anyone had experience of the MeFOTO RoadTrip series travel tripods? Found some positive reviews on the internet, but interesting to know if they are any good in a birding / bird photography context?

I was thinking of getting an Opticron MM4 body for travel (can already swap a compatible eyepiece), so wouldn't be trying to overburden it with a full-size scope.

Also, is the supplied ball head any good for use with a 'scope? Or should I be swapping it for my Gitzo fluid head? (I've never used a ball head by the way)

Grateful for any advice, thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had experience of the MeFOTO RoadTrip series travel tripods? Found some positive reviews on the internet, but interesting to know if they are any good in a birding / bird photography context?

I was thinking of getting an Opticron MM4 body for travel (can already swap a compatible eyepiece), so wouldn't be trying to overburden it with a full-size scope.

Also, is the supplied ball head any good for use with a 'scope? Or should I be swapping it for my Gitzo fluid head? (I've never used a ball head by the way)

Grateful for any advice, thanks!

Ball heads are very flexible and light, fine for a light scope such as the ED50, but are less comfy with a big scope. A heavier scope will flop over to one side unless the ball is tightened anytime one lets go. That is simple in theory, but definitely takes some getting used to in practice.

I've not used this tripod but have used similar ones. I think they're fine for smaller scopes and can be used for larger ones too, although as etudiant says, a ball head probably won't work as well for a larger scope. You can always attach a larger fluid head for a bigger scope though.

Ball heads are very flexible and light, fine for a light scope such as the ED50, but are less comfy with a big scope. A heavier scope will flop over to one side unless the ball is tightened anytime one lets go. That is simple in theory, but definitely takes some getting used to in practice.

I've not used this tripod but have used similar ones. I think they're fine for smaller scopes and can be used for larger ones too, although as etudiant says, a ball head probably won't work as well for a larger scope. You can always attach a larger fluid head for a bigger scope though.

Thanks for the advice guys, unless anyone elses warns me off I'm tempted to take a chance, especially as I'm currently considering the very small 50mm MM4. The MeFOTO comes as a kit with the ball head anyway, so nothing lost if I end up replacing it with my fluid head if I can't get the hang of using it. I've had cheap fluid heads which used to flop over anyway, as they lacked the means of adjusting the position of the plate to balance the 'scope.

I'm wavering about taking a travel scope at all on an upcoming trip to HK and Japan, if the hides at Mai Po have telescopes set up I may not need it there, in Hokkaido I guess I'd only use a 'scope for checking out sea duck and alcids (which could still be extremely valuable!). I would like a lightweight option for those occasions when I currently think I'm not going to need a scope, then regret leaving it behind.

The Roadtrip was on my short list recently. I went with a Vanguard VEO2 265CB carbon to use with my Nikon ED50. The Vanguard weighs 1.3kg and it's a great combo with the Nikon. I have no reason to think the Roadtrip is anything less or more. It should be nice with an MM4.

Ball heads work OK with small scopes, but I'd rather have a two-way fluid in any case.

Keep in mind that a larger fluid head will probably mess with the ability of these travel tripods to fold up. If it won't fold right it could add maybe 4 inches to the pack size. Maybe that matters, maybe not. Vanguard makes a mini two-way for the VEO, but I haven't seen it. Probably will.

In any case, I doubt these little travel tripods will be enough for a big scope. Except under duress.

Hope this helps.

The Roadtrip was on my short list recently. I went with a Vanguard VEO2 265CB carbon to use with my Nikon ED50. The Vanguard weighs 1.3kg and it's a great combo with the Nikon. I have no reason to think the Roadtrip is anything less or more. It should be nice with an MM4.

Ball heads work OK with small scopes, but I'd rather have a two-way fluid in any case.

Keep in mind that a larger fluid head will probably mess with the ability of these travel tripods to fold up. If it won't fold right it could add maybe 4 inches to the pack size. Maybe that matters, maybe not. Vanguard makes a mini two-way for the VEO, but I haven't seen it. Probably will.

In any case, I doubt these little travel tripods will be enough for a big scope. Except under duress.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this does help - I wasn't expecting a ball head to be as good as a fluid head, just that it would be possible to use it - if it is a choice between being able to fit a tripod and scope in or taking no scope, I'll take the less than perfect option. Appreciate what you are saying about folding up - I just had a conversation in my local camera shop about Manfrotto BeFree Carbon tripods and heads...they said they could sell me a fluid head which would fold into the tripod for transport. I have to go back this week to pick up a 1.4x converter for my camera, so might investigate further - certainly the tripod was very impressively light and compact when folded up.

I have a MeFoto Globetrotter which comes supplied with a ball and socket head. This works well with my draw tube but with my angled Swarovski 65mm I use a lightweight Benro head S2 which only weighs about 400 grams.

Well, at the end of the day, I decided to go for a Manfrotto BeFree Carbon instead...it was a case of 'a bird in the hand', as they had an actual physical example I could try out in my local camera shop, at a good price too.
Still haven't purchased the MM4 50 yet, so haven't had a chance to try it out - hopefully as the tripod has a 4kg payload and the MM4 is 609g (plus my SDLv2 eyepiece) it should be OK.

Hey, I'm hi-jacking this thread as I have a similar matter at hand! I move mainly by bicycle and can add a rack to it for the tripod.

I recently purchased the Opticron MM4 60 and now I'm faced with a scenario of choosing a tripod. I have been dabbling between the aluminium RoadTrip and the Benro Aero 4, which is on the heavier side and about 80€ more expensive, but with a videohead (2.6kg's compared to RoadTrips 1.6kg's) and it seems very sturdy.

So my question is, will the Benro be overkill for the MM4? Would I do okay with the RoadTrip for example in windy conditions by just hooking some extra weight underneath?

The Benro also is moderately compact as it folds down to 55cm's. (RoadTrip around 40cm's) Heres a link to the Benro if anyone isn't familiar with it: http://www.benroeu.com/products/benro-a2883fs4.aspx

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back