• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saffron-crested Tyrant-Manakin from the library (1 Viewer)

How up to date are your books Niels? It may be that this species was discovered after they were written?

Have a look here:
http://wingsbirds.com/tours/view/187

Under the Days 2-3 section:

"Days 2-3: Early in the morning of Day 2 we’ll board our flight to Iquitos, a relatively modern city along the Amazon River in northeastern Peru. After a quick check-in at our excellent hotel we’ll drive about 40 minutes for our first visit to the Mishana-Allpahuayo White Sands Forest Reserve.

Mishana is a fascinating birding location with the potential for a number of superb birds. We’ll look especially for five newly described (or in the process of being described!) species: Ancient Antwren, Allpahuayo Antbird, Zimmer’s Antbird, Mishana Tyrannulet, and Iquitos Gnatcatcher. In addition we can expect to see a number of other birds that are amazingly rare in Peru including Brown-banded Puffbird, Pearly Antshrike, Pompadour Cotinga, Saffron-crested Tyrant Manakin, Cinnamon Tyrant-Manakin, Zimmer’s Tody-Tyrant, Citron-bellied Attila, and possibly Rufous Potoo. Nights in Iquitos."

How up to date are your books Niels? It may be that this species was discovered after they were written?

I was looking at the map in Restall: Birds of Northern South America (which admittedly does not cover the entire Peru) and in Clements checklist (6th edition) which admittedly is sometimes imprecise with range. I don't have a book for Peru, unfortunately.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I will edit the Opus entry for this bird accordingly.

Niels

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back