• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost advert for infra red camera - help!! (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

I saw an advert in a magazine a short while ago for an infra red digital camera priced at about £299 to take snap shots to see what's around in your garden at night. It wasn't the kind of camera like the bird box type. I am slowly being driven mad because I cannot find the magazine! I think it was on a top left hand page and would probably have been in Birdwatching magazine or The Garden although I occasionally have BBC Wildlife and Birds Illustrated. I also have a few 'home' type mags but I think it unlikely to be in one of those.

I have waded through piles of the things and no luck so if anyone thinks they know the ad I'm referring to please point me in the right direction as I am slowly going insane!

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I saw an advert in a magazine a short while ago for an infra red digital camera priced at about £299 to take snap shots to see what's around in your garden at night. It wasn't the kind of camera like the bird box type. I am slowly being driven mad because I cannot find the magazine! I think it was on a top left hand page and would probably have been in Birdwatching magazine or The Garden although I occasionally have BBC Wildlife and Birds Illustrated. I also have a few 'home' type mags but I think it unlikely to be in one of those.

I have waded through piles of the things and no luck so if anyone thinks they know the ad I'm referring to please point me in the right direction as I am slowly going insane!

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Amelia,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for as it does not say it is an infra red camera but it appears to have a night mode.

It is on page 16 of the August edition of Bird Watching magazine.

Good luck, I hope you find it

Mary

The CMOS sensor in many of the digital cameras will respond very nicely to infrared, so it is a widely available feature, provided the optics don't block that light.Ask your camerashop expert or take a picture of yourself in the dark.
Do note however that IR sensors give much less resolution, so a bird at night might be a bright spot on the screen, without much shape and without any color.
For 300 Sterling one should get a good camera, so beware that it is not some scam hyping the IR capability to move a dud product.

Hi Amelia,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for as it does not say it is an infra red camera but it appears to have a night mode.

It is on page 16 of the August edition of Bird Watching magazine.

Good luck, I hope you find it

Mary

Mary, you are an absolute star!! I have gone through the last 4/5 months magazines trying to find this - must have been turning two pages over at once................
I will read the blurb again - murphy's law it won't be as wonderful as it seemed when I first read it!! Thanks for taking the trouble to let me know it's whereabouts.

The CMOS sensor in many of the digital cameras will respond very nicely to infrared, so it is a widely available feature, provided the optics don't block that light.Ask your camerashop expert or take a picture of yourself in the dark.
Do note however that IR sensors give much less resolution, so a bird at night might be a bright spot on the screen, without much shape and without any color.
For 300 Sterling one should get a good camera, so beware that it is not some scam hyping the IR capability to move a dud product.

Thanks for your comments.

I have just posted a question in the nature equipment section asking for advice choosing one of these cameras. Comparing the differents specs is confusing when you don't know much about IR sensors etc

Thanks again

I don't know the advert you are referring too but if all else fails you could try a Sony Nightshot.
What you are looking for is very much a standard feature that Sony offers with most of their handy cams and digital camera's now.

Very simply, Nightshot allows you to take an image in complete darkness, in the absence of any available light.
Nightshot makes these cameras instantly IR(infrared) Modded, and with the flip of the switch, it goes back to the Un-Modded color capable “Normal” state.

Yes, flip a switch and these cameras remove the internal IR Block Hot Mirror filter for IR Photography, and then flip it back, and the IR blocker filter goes back into place for regular Color Photography.

I hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back