• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking For Crossbills (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Beneath the tall dark pines
Green moss sips acidic sustenance
From the fir-coated forest floor

Below the stream slips a peaty brown hand
Across the rounded boulders rising from its
Bed then cascades over the sheets -
The jut of outcrop above the pool

High in the pale ice of the sky
The call of Crossbills' "jip jip" -
Flakes falling from wind-battered bark
A glimpse of bright rumps from a small flock
And those small sounds also: gone

Wonderfully alliterative, beautifully constructed and a gorgeous word picture, H. Thank you.

"The fewer the birds the better the words it seems!" Hmm, couldn't agree more. Having dipped the local Parrot Crossbills twice, the words I used were excellent, although not really for publication!

Great poem. :t:

Thanks Stuart.

Out this morning and came up with this. A departure from my usual - rhyming nine syllable lines:

Three Productive Fields

The icy wind clamps its steel jaw and
Blows in from the snowy ridged moorland
Three fallow fields and dung heaps provide
Linnets and Larks, wagtails: Grey and Pied
Picking Pipits, trawling with Starling
And Crows in scores and Lapwings take wing
Stock Doves circle as Buzzard displays
O'er the dark copse and below the greys

That's a very interesting poem. The first four lines work conversationally, while the last four have a definite rythm. Like it. :)

Yesterday's walk froze me into wordless submission!

A distant trio of Hawfinches dropping in elluded my search. A male Redpoll rather lovely too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back