• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TV Tower Wires Kill 400 Birds in One Night (1 Viewer)

Because of "discussions happening elsewhere" I have seen some data lately, and the numbers, if true, are horrific... so much so as to be unbelieveable in many cases.

"much worse than some other man-made structures dare i say..."

Have to agree with that Tim.
Certain peoples egos are big enough to destroy more than a few birds!!

Regards

Malky

Many night flying migrants meet their end when they hit buildings in Eilat, Israel. Several 'first for Israel' have been picked up dead at dawn at the base of glass fronted hotels.

Thankfully, the plans for huge Voice of America transmitter/receiver dishers were abandoned in the Negev after protesters succeeded in persuading the government to scrap the said plans.

John.

In addition to the birds killed by these wires, I wonder how many have perished in the wildfire that is mentioned in the link at the bottom of the Yahoo News page :-

"Crews Scramble to Put Out Calif. Wildfire"

Roger

Probably fewer birds perish in wildfires than do other wildlife that can't outrun these infernos. At any rate, wildfire is a natural phenomenon (assuming it's lightning- and not human-caused) so not really analogous to the discussion at hand. IMHO, of course. ;)

rogerscoth said:
In addition to the birds killed by these wires, I wonder how many have perished in the wildfire that is mentioned in the link at the bottom of the Yahoo News page :-

"Crews Scramble to Put Out Calif. Wildfire"

Roger

Hi Roger,

There may be losses of wildlife to these fires however often wildfires and the regeneration of growth thereafter are often required to create suitable habitat for many bird species. Mans suppression of these fires has therefore lead to a decline in numbers of these bird species.

Back to the tower strikes issue - here is some data from the FCC report on tower strikes. ,On the night of January 22, 1998, an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 Lapland longspurs and other species were killed at three adjacent towers and a natural gas pumping facility in western Kansas.,

The whole pdf file is here http://wireless.fcc.gov/reports/documents/avatar-migratory-bird-report10104.pdf
Luke

Some vegetation types in Calif. are adapted to fire. Some shrubs will not germinate unless they have been scorched first. In pre-European times, fires would have been started by rare lightning strikes and by runaway Indian campfires. Fires -- if they aren't too frequent -- can actually increase the number and variety of birds in some areas, though I don't doubt that some birds are consumed in the fires. However, fire ecology in Calif. is much too involved to discuss here in detail.

Back to towers: There's a radio tower in Florida that is used to census bird migrations. Researchers count the dead birds at the base of the tower. Energy-producing windmill farms should also pose a significant hazard to birds.

Curtis Croulet said:
Back to towers: There's a radio tower in Florida that is used to census bird migrations. Researchers count the dead birds at the base of the tower. Energy-producing windmill farms should also pose a significant hazard to birds.

Though it should be remembered that the average number of kills per year in the most recent study was 28 birds per turbine.

The attraction at Bardsey Lighthouse that killed 290 Grasshopper warblers in a single night takes some beating.

The typical UK house claims between 5 and 10 birds a year simply though window strikes.

Is their any specific info on what type of birds are most likely to fall victim to these turbines?

Steve.

stevo said:
Is their any specific info on what type of birds are most likely to fall victim to these turbines?

Steve.

Has any research been done into wind turbine kills. I have heard of many birds being picked up under pylon wires, usually the larger species, swans etc.

I was told that turbines are harmless??????

John.

Jane Turner said:
The typical UK house claims between 5 and 10 birds a year simply though window strikes.
I've never seen the corpse nor head the thump in ten years of owning a house - this seems on the high side. Unless there's folk out there who wake up to a pyramid of dead birds on thier patio every morning!

Yes, it seemed a rather high claim to me too. In 10 years of living at my current house I've had only three window strikes - about the same frequency at all my previous houses.

"Yes, it seemed a rather high claim to me too. In 10 years of living at my current house I've had only three window strikes - about the same frequency at all my previous houses."

As you live underground, were they all Puffins, nest hole digging, or was there the odd Kingfisher as well?? 3:)

Regards

Malky

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back