• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

With all the recent discussion about cameras and photography, did anyone manage to get any images of today's pintail.;)

I just hope they're still around tomorrow. On our way back from dipping in Norfolk - only brief views of RFBT and YBW saved the day.

SAM_0559.JPG
Here you go dave :t: a nice video grab for the lot of ya ;P
3 Common Gull (all 1st winter) were landed on the deck with a LARGE amount of gulls from 3:30 onwards.
Single PINTAIL shown untill just before dark, when it was lost (and not seen again), and a single mobile (or 2 different) Wigeon were on the pool, with one by the islands and another (or the same) ata the north end of the pool,
4!! Kingfishers seen, 2 Green sands just before dusk
MB

Hi all,

It was gull photography day today for me and Rob as not much else wanted to play, especially the Pintails.

Attachments

• common gull 4.jpg
    common gull 4.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 65
  • herring gull 1.jpg
    herring gull 1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 67
  • lesser black 3.jpg
    lesser black 3.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 74
Report of a probable Rock Pipit today - does anyone know which side of the reserve and whether it was a flyover or on the deck?

Ta Phil

Common Gulls ..so MB ..there were 5 today ?

the front bird is a 2nd winter as john said, but what makes you think the 2nd bird in the background is a 2nd winter john. looks like standard adult to me? if i dare to chalenge you! 8-P
add this to the 3 1st winters i saw in the flock that would mean at least 5 at the moors pool yday, there wasnt any adult/2nd winter types when i was there :t:
MB

the front bird is a 2nd winter as john said, but what makes you think the 2nd bird in the background is a 2nd winter john. looks like standard adult to me? if i dare to chalenge you! 8-P
add this to the 3 1st winters i saw in the flock that would mean at least 5 at the moors pool yday, there wasnt any adult/2nd winter types when i was there :t:
MB

Hi Craig I'm no Gull Guru these days so, you have every right to challenge me mate:t:
Looking closer there is more white on the primaries indicative of adult, but the bill looks to have a bit too much black and the tip doesn't seem yellow enough (but that could be the light) also blotching seems a bit too extensive around the neck again could be the light. Gulls are highly variable as you know , so you could well be right. B :)John

At least 3 Yellowhammers (2 male, 1 female) on the flashes mid-day. This species seems to have become quite regular of late. 1 Coal Tit in trees near the sailing centre. 6+ Little Grebes on moors, 5+ Common Snipe, Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Gull and good views of Water Rail from the west hide.

As I mentioned before, a great day, with good banter, good Vis Mig and brill work.
We split into 3 groups and worked on de-silting the old channels in the delta and hide channel. Unfortunately these two areas had baked hard and took a fair bit of effort to get the silt out. Both lots of silt were piled up to form extra 'high' areas for the breeding season. Also the spoil will help negate the erosive effects of the salt in areas that were formerly grassland.
In the wetter 'central' area we dug out a deep pool, and extended the width of the main channel. This extra width has allowed a view of water on the 2nd flash for the first time in 3 months. The spoil here was used to create high ground and will be a refuge in the deep water if it ever arrives.
Photo 1. The Delta channel
2. Hide channel
3. central channel extension
4. new pool excavation
5. some of the lads at work or are they eating the wealth of cakes that were on offer today.
Thanks again lads a great effort. If we get chance next month (ie still dry) we should be able to complete the de-silting of the channels. B :)John

Attachments

• 1. delta chanDSCF7869.jpg
    1. delta chanDSCF7869.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.hide channel.jpg
    2.hide channel.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 3.the new channel.jpg
    3.the new channel.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 4. new pool DSCF7860.jpg
    4. new pool DSCF7860.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 5 some of thelads.jpg
    5 some of thelads.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Vis Mig

We started the work about 9.45am and right from the off, birds were moving through. The cold, misty start had certainly stirred things up.
One feature of this Autumn is the sheer number of Meadow pipits hanging around all day. Recent years at this time, we have hardly heard a bird during the work parties, however this year at least 30 are ever present. They are feeding amongst the clumps of salt marsh plants and sewage works field.
Today's totals were:- Skylark 35, Meadow pipit 60+, Yellowhammer, Grey Wagtail, Pied wag 5, Linnet 6, Greenfinch small numbers, Fieldfare c20, redwing 1 or 2, Starlings small flocks and a flock of c80 rested briefly in the blackthorn thicket, redpoll, SWALLOW 2. all birds were moving south. By 11am the movement had almost stopped.
Also today at the Flashes a couple of Peregrines were calling for a good while, at least 7 buzzards and 2 sparrowhawks.
At the Moors highlights were: Little Grebe 6, Shoveler 36 plus Daves notes.
A group of 60+ Starlings probably roosted in the North Moors.
8-PJohn

I Love Upton

[At the Moors highlights were: Little Grebe 6, Shoveler 36 plus Daves notes.
8-PJohn[/QUOTE]

Too late (lazy) to actually do any work Sunday, but was immediately presented with a cup of tea and splendid date & walnut affair from Waitrose, courtesy of Woodchat (cheers Dave!).
What struck me again today was the fantastic and varied habitat that we have at Upton, and not just that, but also lots and lots of areas that are yet to reach their full potential. I would absolutely love to be involved every day, maintaining and creating ditches,scrub, reedbeds and shore-lines. If I could somehow lose the wife and kids and mortgage and all other responsibilities, I would live down Upton, working for free asking only for a morsel of cake and the odd cuppa from the Sunday-crew as way of recompense.
Nothing to set the pulses racing bird-wise, despite waiting till late dusk in the hope of an owl or roosting harrier - maybe next week. However, an unexpected bonus when i put my bins away was a packet of Cadbury chocolate biscuits, given to me earlier by Mr Belsey to safeguard on the way to the Moors - he wont see those again.

Thats brought tears to my eyes Paul - I might actually get round to attending a work party myself this year ;) How many decamped to Grimley for the Barred Warbler?

[At the Moors highlights were: Little Grebe 6, Shoveler 36 plus Daves notes.
8-PJohn

Too late (lazy) to actually do any work Sunday, but was immediately presented with a cup of tea and splendid date & walnut affair from Waitrose, courtesy of Woodchat (cheers Dave!).
What struck me again today was the fantastic and varied habitat that we have at Upton, and not just that, but also lots and lots of areas that are yet to reach their full potential. I would absolutely love to be involved every day, maintaining and creating ditches,scrub, reedbeds and shore-lines. If I could somehow lose the wife and kids and mortgage and all other responsibilities, I would live down Upton, working for free asking only for a morsel of cake and the odd cuppa from the Sunday-crew as way of recompense.
Nothing to set the pulses racing bird-wise, despite waiting till late dusk in the hope of an owl or roosting harrier - maybe next week. However, an unexpected bonus when i put my bins away was a packet of Cadbury chocolate biscuits, given to me earlier by Mr Belsey to safeguard on the way to the Moors - he wont see those again.[/QUOTE]

That's what you think, in recompense, at the November work party you will have to provide the Boys with sustenance, in the form of your famous Banana cake 8-P.

BARDSEY BIRD AND FIELD OBSERVATORY
SUNDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2011
Despite a breezy Westerly persisting throughout the day, a few bits and pieces were seen on the island. At least 24 Short-eared Owls were seen on the mountain and South end during the day,

Portland Bird Obs
16th Oct 2011
18 Short eared Owl

If we don't get SEO this year we never will:-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back