• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My limited bino review (1 Viewer)

swede

Let me preface my post by stating that what follows is a very subjective review by a “bino-newbie.” I am only beginning to understand some of the many technical terms (CA, color fringing, etc), but feel that to be both a blessing (I don’t know what I am missing) and a curse (I most likely will think that I miss it later on). Also, some thanks to previous answers to PM’s and posts on this board that both added to my answers and subsequent questions. I have truly enjoyed “lurking” and reading on this forum and have come to appreciate the willingness to help a newbie spend loads of money on new purchases (isn’t that what I have a wife for). All that said I felt that I should at least provide a response and review following my purchase. After much reading, pm’ing, browsing, and endless hours of commiserating, I finally decided to update my trusty Nikon Monarch 8x 42’s. What I was ultimately looking for?

1. Something more compact (both size and weight) that would be easier to keep in car for frequent use, or to pack in the field.
2. Better field of view (than Monarchs 330 ft).
3. Good performance in low light and forest canopy.
4. Primary use would be for my kids sport activities, archery hunting, pre-season scouting.

With the criteria above, I felt that the smaller, 8 x 30(ish) class to be a solid starting point. Since I hope to use these for many years, I was willing to look into the middle and upper class \ alpha binoculars as a starting point. I originally started with a list of the following binoculars:

SLC 8 x 30 (and 8 x 32 EL)
Zeiss 8 x 32 (possibly a 7 x 42, or 8 x 30 conquest)
Leica 8 x 32

I was able to handle each of these at some local stores (Bass Pro and Sportsman’s warehouse) and do limited viewing (inside store), along with some of the other larger models (8.5 x 43 EL, victories, and leica’s). Although really liking the view of the larger binoculars, they further drove home the point that they (to me) would be more cumbersome than I am willing to carry afield (even with a binoculars strap). I really liked the EL 8 x 32, but the additional price (with similar optics to the SLC) made the slc more attractive. Due to the overwhelming abundance of experiences mentioned with cameralandny, I called them and spoke with Doug and Neil on a few occasions to discuss. Oddly enough, they both strongly recommended I take a look at the Minox 8 x 33 BR HG binoculars. Based on the strength of their suggestion, I pm’ed a few members of this board for their viewpoints, thoughts, etc., as well as posting my questions to this forum. That of course brought another couple of binoculars into the equation (Meopta 8 x 32’s, or a 7x model). The main reason for not going that route was availability of reviewing (locally) and pricing (cameraland doesn’t carry it). Eventually, I was able to take a look at the Minox HG and compare directly to a Zeiss victory in the same size at a local store (both inside and out) for about an hour (fortunately the manager is friend of the family). In comparing the binoculars next to each other, I continually came back to the little Minox. As mentioned previously in other posts, ergonomics played a large part in the decision (as did price).

Overall thoughts on the Minox:

1. These binoculars feel VERY solid and robust, yet are quite small. In comparing (locally in a 10 x 43) against the zeiss victory’s, it was amazing how much smaller and lighter the Minox “felt.” Not sure of the actual weight differences, but the zeiss were considerably taller, and felt wider in the hand. The overall feel between the two differs considerably as well (textured rubber vs. the semi-smooth plastic of the zeiss).

2. The view through the binoculars (to my limited observations) seemed very comparable, especially with the price difference between the two (demo on Minox was $500, new Zeiss was $2000+). The Minox seemed to provide a little more contrast, but that may be due to the zeiss being brighter.

3. In looking across the vast expanse of concrete, etc., they both seemed to show the “heat waves” about the same, and handled resolution similarly. Zeiss again a little brighter (I am beginning to understand how the view can differ from one to the other), but not (to me) necessarily better, just different.

4. I was able to view into a copse of trees about 150 yards distant, and pick out smaller birds and details with either binocular, again not much discernible difference.

5. The Minox does require a bit more fine focusing at close yardage.

6. The diopter adjustment seemed very solid (pretty much set and forget), and has yet to move once set.

7. I really like the eyecups on the Minox; detents are positive and seem to stay put thus far.

In the end, I came to a few conclusions. The quality of the view of the binoculars reviewed amazed me in how much they differed from my Monarch. Although I very much wanted to look into the newer Chinese bins (Zen-ray and Promaster), I felt that the size and weight would hinder me from carrying them enough to really use them. The look and feel of a binocular, along with price point made the decision to go with the Minox an easier one. In my limited circumstance, along with the criteria I was looking at, these binoculars are an exceptional value for my criteria. I truly fear that this is to be the first step down a much longer road of binoculars envy (thank you all for that)! Sadly, I am already thinking of the next binocular that might be added to the stable, especially if Zen-Ray or Promaster create smaller binoculars.

Nice review of the decision and the Minox HG 10x43.

I own the Minox HG 8x33, which are a pure joy to look through. If you think concrete heat waves are neat--wait till you take the HGs out on the trail.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Sadly, I am already thinking of the next binocular that might be added to the stable, especially if Zen-Ray or Promaster create smaller binoculars.

Hmm, didn't I mention that the new 32 mm ED bins were right around the corner?

...must have forgotten that little tidbit.

:)

I am joking though I wouldn't mind seeing one eventually.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I have zero experience with the Minox HG or APO HGs but they are on my short list of bins to still try. $500 you say? From Doug? Hmm, tax check time?

;)

Yep. In all reality, I tested the 10 x 43's locally, but ended up with the 8 x 33's. I am amazed at the size difference between these and others. Nice and small, might be able to fit in a large jacket pocket or cargo pant. Both of you were quite helpful throughout this. Frank, that price is the demo from doug. The retail is similar to the Meopta's.

Yep. In all reality, I tested the 10 x 43's locally, but ended up with the 8 x 33's. I am amazed at the size difference between these and others. Nice and small, might be able to fit in a large jacket pocket or cargo pant. Both of you were quite helpful throughout this. Frank, that price is the demo from doug. The retail is similar to the Meopta's.

I sort of figured that it was a demo from Doug. He has the best prices when it comes to "like new" demos. I have lost count the number of bins I have purchased from him. It is a shame he doesn't post here anymore.

Again, thanks for the review. I would eventually like to handle a pair of these and preferrably the 8x33s.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back