• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon road casualty (1 Viewer)

I'm having a birdy time of it. Not just the bluetit in the kitchen but now a pigeon. Was driving back from the shop and noticed lots of feathers and a sad little bundle by the road. As I drew level the bundle put it's head up and looked at me. What can you do?
I stopped the car and went to check him out hoping he was just shocked and I could put him somewhere safe. But he had a hole in his head and his legs weren't working and had lost all flight fearthers from one wing.
Took him home, obviously. Thiknking to evaluate quietly and decide what to do.
I looked up the parylysed legs and read that with birds it might be nerve damage through the kidneys (?) and that they can come back so decided to manage this part and do the old wait and see. Cleaned hole in head which was not too deep, it was a piece of road grit. Inspected for other injuries, nothing visible. I gave him a drink, he shocked me by syphoning up the water like an elephant:eek!: offered him grain and put him quietly in a big box. Then the troubles really began. He beat himself around the box untill his featherless wing was bleeding everywhere, it sprayed the kitchen. I checked the bleeding by bathing with hydrogen peroxide, put on some cornflour (these are my hen first aid kit things) bound the edge of wing and popped him back. He just did it again. Decided I needed to imobilise the wings so that he stay quiet. I put him in a cutdown loosely fitting sock with a bit of soft tape to stop him pulling it off and invented a sort of sling for him by taping two socks across the box and resting him on them with his legs dangling in between.
four days later he has regained about 40 percent of his leg strength, i clean him up underneath four times a day, I discovered a deep gash across his tail area and so have him on baytril in case of infection and am using dermaflon on the wound, which looks clean but is near the poopy areas so have to take care; His poo is very dark green and white, smells fine, just a regular pidgey pong. I leave the sock off in the day as I'm working at home on a childrens book so can watch he doesn't get in a muddle but he's not spreading his wings anymore, he acts as if he still has the sock on which worries me. He's a real fighter but seems to have stress or pain crisis moments with open mouth and fast heart, I give him water and try to leave him as peaceful as I can.
Can anyone add more information or advice, what can I expect, what should I watch for?
Thankyou!:eat:

I'm having a birdy time of it. Not just the bluetit in the kitchen but now a pigeon. Was driving back from the shop and noticed lots of feathers and a sad little bundle by the road. As I drew level the bundle put it's head up and looked at me. What can you do?
I stopped the car and went to check him out hoping he was just shocked and I could put him somewhere safe. But he had a hole in his head and his legs weren't working and had lost all flight fearthers from one wing.
Took him home, obviously. Thiknking to evaluate quietly and decide what to do.
I looked up the parylysed legs and read that with birds it might be nerve damage through the kidneys (?) and that they can come back so decided to manage this part and do the old wait and see. Cleaned hole in head which was not too deep, it was a piece of road grit. Inspected for other injuries, nothing visible. I gave him a drink, he shocked me by syphoning up the water like an elephant:eek!: offered him grain and put him quietly in a big box. Then the troubles really began. He beat himself around the box untill his featherless wing was bleeding everywhere, it sprayed the kitchen. I checked the bleeding by bathing with hydrogen peroxide, put on some cornflour (these are my hen first aid kit things) bound the edge of wing and popped him back. He just did it again. Decided I needed to imobilise the wings so that he stay quiet. I put him in a cutdown loosely fitting sock with a bit of soft tape to stop him pulling it off and invented a sort of sling for him by taping two socks across the box and resting him on them with his legs dangling in between.
four days later he has regained about 40 percent of his leg strength, i clean him up underneath four times a day, I discovered a deep gash across his tail area and so have him on baytril in case of infection and am using dermaflon on the wound, which looks clean but is near the poopy areas so have to take care; His poo is very dark green and white, smells fine, just a regular pidgey pong. I leave the sock off in the day as I'm working at home on a childrens book so can watch he doesn't get in a muddle but he's not spreading his wings anymore, he acts as if he still has the sock on which worries me. He's a real fighter but seems to have stress or pain crisis moments with open mouth and fast heart, I give him water and try to leave him as peaceful as I can.
Can anyone add more information or advice, what can I expect, what should I watch for?
Thankyou!:eat:

Oh dear, you should have killed it or had someone do it for you, it would have been the kindest thing to do. You have done more than most people would have done and thank you for that but the bird was obviously suffering.

I think you have just done brilliantly!! Can't think of anything more you could have done or do....well done! Hope he recovers further....:t:

Well i didnt like to say but I have to agree with Keith, for all your heart was obviously in the right place the best and kindest thing to do would have been to put it out of its misery a quickly as possible rather than prolong the misery, pain and suffering.

If the bird pulls through successfully (and I hope after the effort you've put in it does, as long as it is not in constant pain), then you may well have yourself a pet pigeon - not sure that it could be released into the wild ...

I imagine wildlife help centres are unlikely to exist in France? (They prefer eating them?)

wrt the pain/crisis moments the bird is having you still may have to face up to the fact that it is unfair on the bird. But see how it goes.

Thankyou for these comments!
Firstly, yes it's not easy being me in France, the pidgeon has a palombier ring which means he is a stool pidgeon (tied onto a wooden perch hoisted up a tree and used to call wild pigeons so that they can shoot them as they come over) but I better not get started on what I feel about all that. I can sum it up in one word.. MERDE!!!
I didn't realise things were so bad till I got him home. The first night I almost took him to the neighbour to put him out of his misery. He is standing almost now but his wings aren't great, I don't know whats wrong with them? I'm trying to locate a wildbird centre but if he doesn't pull through in the next week I will have to have him put to sleep, peacefully at the vets..:(

Thankyou for these comments!
Firstly, yes it's not easy being me in France, the pidgeon has a palombier ring which means he is a stool pidgeon (tied onto a wooden perch hoisted up a tree and used to call wild pigeons so that they can shoot them as they come over) but I better not get started on what I feel about all that. I can sum it up in one word.. MERDE!!!
I didn't realise things were so bad till I got him home. The first night I almost took him to the neighbour to put him out of his misery. He is standing almost now but his wings aren't great, I don't know whats wrong with them? I'm trying to locate a wildbird centre but if he doesn't pull through in the next week I will have to have him put to sleep, peacefully at the vets..:(

I hope you are rewarded for your efforts, you sound like an angel, I wish there were more like you. Merde is a good word sometimes when you need to let off steam.

i'm really not sure what to make of him today; Yesterday we had a big breakthrough in terms of eating and stress. I had him sat on my lap whilst I had my coffee with one hand full of turtle dove feed as always, but untill now he hasn't been eating much and i'd had to feed him with a matchstick just so he'd have something to keep him going. but yesterday he suddenly started pecking and is now regularly filling his crop and drinking (syphoning!) so I'm assuming from this that his pain and stress are going down.
Things I'd really like advice on if anyone can help me are the following
1) is there a site where I can learn about caring for wildbirds, first aid, wing and bone setting, etc etc...because there doesn't exist a single sanctuary here within 100km or more so I thought I might tentatively start to help if I'm needed, because we have alot of prey birds here and people just kill them if they are too damaged, no one thinks about setting wings etc... vets are prohibitively expensive and more intersted in domestic animals;
2) The pigeons poo looks like cooked spinach with white creme cheese in it. It has no bad smell. What might cause it?
3) Where could I find images of normal wings (bones) not sure if his are as they should be and would like to compare.

Thankyou for any help or advice!
As I said before, I havn't ruled out the possibility that he has to be PTS but I know that creatures are tough and all the time he's improving I am trying to be postive, hope I'm doing the right thing...

I'm so pleased!! I've just located not just a bird help center but a whole organisation called the LPO who work with wild birds and also when there is a crisis they go into action. I'm going to call the contact first for advice for the pigeon and secondly to see if I can get some training;

2) The pigeons poo looks like cooked spinach with white creme cheese in it. It has no bad smell. What might cause it?

It should look like that (If what I'm imagining is what it actually looks like) if it is watery that's an indication there is a problem.

Ok thankyou for poo analysis!! It was the colour that I found confusing !!

Had a challenging day yesterday...I'm going to make the trip out to the coast next week to the rescue centre run by the french bird portection society http://www.lpo.fr/ and http://centenaire.lpo.fr/category/victoires/ and for some support and advice, not just for the pigeon who I might have to PTS if he keeps on getting so stressed but doesn't progress, temporary stress not a bad trade off for surviving but stress and possibly pain for nothing for him at the end of it...need to know where he might be heading...worried at the moment although he's eating, but I'm out of my depth in knowledge terms.

Thank you for the update. Good that he is feeding and drinking on hs own now! Great that you can get advice too...let us know the outcome of your visit please?

Thank you for the update. Good that he is feeding and drinking on hs own now! Great that you can get advice too...let us know the outcome of your visit please?

I will, and I'm sorry not to be contributing anywhere else on this forum yet, I'm run off my feet with kids, ponies, work...poorly pigeons ;))

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back