• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welsh holiday (1 Viewer)

BirdBoyBen

Young birder
Hi everyone.

I wondered if anyone here is familiar with the Powys/Ceredigon area. I will be staying at Rhayader for a week and then moving on to Penbryn. I'm planning to visit Cors Caron and a lot of the Elan Valley Estate (plus the Red kite feeding station). I don 't want to drive much further then twenty miles around either place as I'm driving up from London. Key species I would like to see are Goosander , Goshawk, Red-breasted merganser (I think only Ynys-hir RSPB which is a bit too far), Black grouse, Crossbill , Hawfinch, L-S woodpecker, Golden plover, Dunlin, Willow tit and anything else anyone can think of. I'm staying on a mountainside with Merlin, kites and Hen-harrier breeding nearby.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ben. Ynys Hir is fairly easy from Penbryn. Depending on when you're going you should be able to pick up Pied Flycatcher and Redstart there also. It's also very near to where the Ospreys breed. Skomer would also be worth a trip. There's a good current thread on BF at the moment which should give decent info (I think it's called "Skomer Advce"). I had a couple of Mashillow Tits at Cors Caron recently. Quite easy to pick up along the footpath there. Scan any of the rivers there for Goosander.

Black Grouse maybe a bit too far North. The RSPB run a trip not far from Wrexham www.wildlifeextra.com

Hopefully some others can chip in with the other species. I've never had Goshawk in Wales and LSW is also on my list to see.

Have a great trip,

Rich

Thanks for the info. Goshawks apparently sometimes join in the feeding at the Red Kite station, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

I went to Skomer a couple of years ago in May for the Puffins, might try to visit again for a look around. I should be visiting the Osprey site.

Thanks again,

Ben

Gigrin farm is amazing, also close by is Gilfach farm which is quite interesting, visited last year and saw a few kites round there - Dippers on the river etc.

There is a nice little reserve between Welshpool and Newtown called Dolydd Hafren. I've have had some good birds there over the years as we have had many a holiday in the area.
Ive had Goosander, Kingfisher, Green sandpiper, Common sandpiper and Hobby to name but a few. And I've been told by the local birders I've met there that they do get Osprey quite often during the summer as well.
Also another place not far from where you are staying is Llyn Clywedog reservoir. You will find Redstart and Pied flycatcher in the area below the dam. And on the road around the reservoir I have had Red kite, Goshawk, Cuckoo, Crossbill and Siskin among other species. But bear in mind Goshawk can be really difficult to see and are hit and miss. Mostly miss.
Hope this helped and have a good trip.

Thanks for your response Jon, it was really helpful. Glad I have an idea of where to possibly see Crossbill now. I have gone Goshawk watching before with about a 10% success rate, so know how difficult it is! Hopefully I'll get lucky.

Thanks again

Get to Dinas RSPB..it's quite a drive but you'll have a great day. PIED AND SPOTTED FLYCATCHER, RED KITE, PEREGRINE, RAVEN, REDSTART, WOOD WARBLER, TREE PIPIT. LS Woodpecker try Wanstead Park London?

hope it helps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back