• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hala Bala Reserve Thailand/Malaysia (1 Viewer)

cassowary

Has anyone visited Hala Bala reserve recently? - I've read that there are significant troubles outside the park but none recorded inside. I was thinking of traveling by car from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur and Hala Bala looks like a super reserve to visit for a few days.

Cheers

I understand the lure if the area, when I lived in Thailand I was very tempted, but as far as I'm aware those southern provinces are still in turmoil and all non-essential travel should be avoided, you could be right that the park is safe, but it could be a big risk being in the area. Better off going to the Malaysian parks.

In case you haven't seen this: http://www.thaibirding.com/locations/south/hb.htm worth a look.

Hey Mike....haven't been there since '04 when there was the same trouble being mentioned (isn't there always??) Anyway, we had no problems inside or outside, we had to stay in Sungai Kolok (stayed at the Thailiang Hotel) which is 33kms away. It's a fab place, pretty much 'untouched' - so don't forget to take lots of food and drink with you! I have an old trip report from then if you're interested as it has a couple of hand-drawn maps on it. Hopefully they're still current!!

Hi, my Thai bird guide friends tell me that the reserve itself is safe but not necessarily the surrounding town areas. IMHO booking a guide would be the best way to bird there as he could arrange for accommodation within the reserve itself, which would minimize your traveling risks. You can find me on Facebook for more info on guides etc by typing my name here.

Chaps, thanks for the feedback. I wasn't expecting any replies. Me thinks I will have to do a bit more research before I sort out my itinerary.

Cheers

Since early 2004 the three southern provinces have experienced a higher rate of murder than was seen in Northern Ireland during The Troubles. Whilst many attacks have been targeted, others have been indiscriminate.

There are guides taking people to Hala Bala, and it seems that there is a (reliable?) site there for Malaysian Honeyguide at present - but given the background level of violence you need to decide if it's worth the risk, especially as most other spp there can be seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
If travelling through the troubled areas is a concern for you, my suggestion is to fly to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, then to Kota Bharu (the capital of the state of Kelantan that borders Thailand), take a taxi to the Bukit Bunga/Buketa entry point into Thailand and get your guide to meet you there. Hala Bala is only 6km from that entry point and you will bypass the most volatile territory at Sg Kolok.

Alternatively, consider going to Taman Negara here in Malaysia that has just about all the birds that can be found in Hala Bala. For a similar experience to Hala Bala, go to the less well known but bird-productive entrance of Merapoh. There is a nice tarred jeep track that runs through the forest. Of course, Kuala Tahan will have much more tourist amenities as it is the main tourist centre for Taman Negara.

Hor Kee and Gandytron, thanks for the additional information. All things considered then, I will probably leave Hala Bala out of the trip. I don't intend to travel to Thailand/Malaysia until December so lots of time to plan.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back