• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beyond the Sightron II 8x32 (1 Viewer)

ailevin

United States
The Sightron II 8x32 has gotten a fair amount of attention here and elsewhere as a high value binocular at a relatively low entry point (~$175 online). I have been using my Sightron for a couple months now, and I continue to enjoy the view through this binocular and find it quite comfortable to use. OTH, I am definitely still exploring. BTW, my primary use for this binocular is birding.

I don't want to start another thread about the best binocular, or best value binocular, or even best magnification/aperture, but I do have a question for those of you who have owned or do own the Sightron 8x32. Assuming that you at some point found another binocular that you preferred to the Sightron 8x32, what was that binocular? And just what was it you preferred?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan:

I would rethink the title to your subject. There are many optics values at this price point.

I tried the Sightron 8x32, nice optics, but mine went back because of dust inside.
This binocular should not be placed on such a high pedestal.

That means a better title would be better, maybe suggesting others in the lower price point.

Jerry

Alan:

I would rethink the title to your subject. There are many optics values at this price point.

I tried the Sightron 8x32, nice optics, but mine went back because of dust inside.
This binocular should not be placed on such a high pedestal.

That means a better title would be better, maybe suggesting others in the lower price point.

Jerry

Jerry,

I appreciate your response to my question. I understand that your issue with the Sightron was quality and I would be interested to know what binocular replaced the Sightron that you returned.

Respectfully, I believe the title as it stands reflects the information I seek and your suggested revision asks a different question. I did not intend to put the Sightron on a pedestal nor claim it was unique at its price point. I do not have sufficient experience to make any such claim. I was just interested to hear from people who had owned or do own the Sightron to hear what their progression was from the Sightron and in what ways they found the Sightron wanting.

Thanks Again,
Alan

I had the Sightron several years ago for trial but ended up returning it due to almost no over travel past infinity. Other than that one issue, I would have gladly kept it. It was definitely worth the price. I have yet to see another one to determine if it was a problem unique to the unit I had. Sightron could not give me a definitive answer.

My choice for replacement (and maybe Jerry's) is the Cabela's Guide 8X32 which I got on sale for less than the Sightron. The pricing structure at the time indicated it was on close out, but that turned out not to be the case.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332112

If both were available for the same price, I would easily go with the Cabela's Guide (made by Leupold). The Guide is about $90 more at normal pricing but I would still choose it over the Sightron (even if there were no over travel issue). However the Sightron would be a better value and also a good choice if you can get one without any issues.

Since the Toric is nowhere near the same price point, even on sale, and will not be until Dennis puts his on eBay, and that it is a 42mm model rather than a 32mm as is the subject of this thread, I see no reason for including it in this discussion.

Last edited:
Based on the good opinions expressed here I suggested the Sightron 8x32 to some friends about a year ago and I was able to briefly evaluate the two pairs they bought. The photo below shows light transmitted through a Sightron and through a Zeiss HT. Admittedly the Zeiss is essentially state of the art for light transmission, but the photo shows what I found to be the biggest optical weaknesses in the Sightron: rather low light transmission and a pronounced reddish color bias. If I were shopping for a better binocular than the Sightron I would certainly be looking for better performance in those areas.

Attachments

• DSC_0408.JPG
    DSC_0408.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Based on the good opinions expressed here I suggested the Sightron 8x32 to some friends about a year ago and I was able to briefly evaluate the two pairs they bought. The photo below shows light transmitted through a Sightron and through a Zeiss HT. Admittedly the Zeiss is essentially state of the art for light transmission, but the photo shows what I found to be the biggest optical weaknesses in the Sightron: rather low light transmission and a pronounced reddish color bias. If I were shopping for a better binocular than the Sightron I would certainly be looking for better performance in those areas.
Definitely agree with the low light transmission and the reddish color bias. That was another reason I quickly returned mine.The only binocular I have tried even remotely close in price to the Sightron that I would recommend is the Nikon 8x30 EII which can be purchased for about $400.00 but it is a non-waterproof porro. I have tried a LOT of roof's and I can't think of one under $500.00 that I would buy. Most roof's under $500.00 tend to be Chinese although I believe the Sightron is made in the Philippines.

Last edited:
We did keep our SII Blue Sky, essentially using it as a loaner for visitors. I agree that it lacks a bit in light transmission. You can really tell this if you have the Sightron in one hand and an 8x30 Nikon Monarch in the other. The Monarch7 is wider, brighter, and sharper than the Sightron. It is also substantially more expensive too, as one could reasonably expect.

But I don't give the Sightron any grief at all. As long as one is willing to consider it's price, it is actually a very good performer.......

I want to thank everyone who responded. If I may ask one follow up question. I very much like the 8x32 form factor, but I have seen discussions about glare issues, even with high end models. I noticed that of the two 8x32 binoculars that I compared the Sightron is much better than the Celestron Nature DX in dealing with bright objects just out of the field of view. In an astronomical telescope I would call it an internal reflection

Is it matter of baffling or something having to do with the 8x32 roof prism design? I know there are always compromises in any optical design, but I wonder if there are 8x32 binoculars know to be good at controlling this kind of glare.

Thanks Again,
Alan

I sold my Blue sky due to glare, or flare, or whatever it's called. I found the 8x32 Meopta HD to be very good at controlling glare.

Last edited:
I have the Sightron II 8x32 Blue Sky and the Zeiss Victory 8x32 T* FL. The Zeiss does beat the Sightron since it's 10+ times the cost. But I take the Sightron to the Michigan football games - It wouldn't hurt as much if I lost it compared to the Zeiss. ;-)

I have the Sightron II 8x32 Blue Sky and the Zeiss Victory 8x32 T* FL. The Zeiss does beat the Sightron since it's 10+ times the cost. But I take the Sightron to the Michigan football games - It wouldn't hurt as much if I lost it compared to the Zeiss. ;-)

Go Blue! (I was born in Ann Arbor). Any thoughts on glare control?

Thanks,
Alan

I went from the Sightron to the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. A very noticeable difference in clarity, sharpness, "pop," and of course, field of view. And the focuser is a joy. I really love that bin. But it's a good bit heavier. As for glare, it does pretty well, not perfectly--I don't recall comparing it directly to the Sightron on that issue.

Good thread idea.

I still have my Sightrons and don't intend to sell them any time soon. I also have several other binoculars that I use regularly.

If you are stuck on the 8x30/8x32 configurations then the obvious optical "step up" from the Sightrons would be something like the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 or the Maven B3. But, then you mentioned glare issues. Personally I have not run into this with the Maven but others have mentioned it with the Nikon.

The wider field of view, brighter and more neutral image of the Mavens is noticeable in direct comparison to the Sightrons. The Mavens are also 2.5 times the cost of the Sightrons. That isn't an issue though if I am to read your original question correctly.

Frank,

Oddly as I mentioned in another thread, I am headed toward a Maven B3 8x30 or 6x30 via another route. I have been trying out a Maven B2 9x45 over the past week. It's an outstanding binocular, but I think it's a bit large and heavy for my regular daytime use and I do prefer a lower magnification.

I am attracted to mid-size after comparing the Sightron 8x32 to the Athlon Midas 8x42. The Midas was relatively compact and weighed in at only 25 oz, but even there I noticed it was less tiring to hold the lighter 32mm glass while viewing for extended periods.

If the Maven B3 could provide enough of the ergonomic advantage of the Sightron 8x32 and enough of the optical advantage of the B2, I would consider the price premium to be well worth it.

Alan

I am attracted to mid-size after comparing the Sightron 8x32 to the Athlon Midas 8x42. The Midas was relatively compact and weighed in at only 25 oz, but even there I noticed it was less tiring to hold the lighter 32mm glass while viewing for extended periods.

If the Maven B3 could provide enough of the ergonomic advantage of the Sightron 8x32 and enough of the optical advantage of the B2, I would consider the price premium to be well worth it.

Alan[/QUOTE]

Hi Alan,

I just finished demo-ing a Maven B3 6x30. I would have tried out the 8x30, but wearing eyeglasses, the spec'ed eye relief for 8x would not have suited me. 6x30 is an interesting niche, enjoyable to use, bright-even at lowering light levels, wide field, etc. The Mavens feel good in the hand, and are well built.

I compared them at dusk, studying a bird feeder in our yard, with a Leupold 6x30 Yosemite, and a Sightron 8x32. The Leupold's seemed to my eyes a tad brighter than the Mavens, the Sightrons had noticeably more magnification, but were also visibly dimmer than the Maven. An 8x42 Vanguard Endeavor ed2 was expectedly brighter and more detailed than anything else. Only surprise in all that is the 6x30 Yosemite slightly besting the Maven in one category, which may possibly be attributable to a porro vs. roof configuration. That does not mean a $90 binocular killed the $500 one. All other 'differences' observed amongst the lot come down to aperture, exit pupil, and magnification.

Other variables deserve consideration, such as build quality, the ergonomics, size, and weight.

There are so many factors in making these types of choices, not just pursuit of optical perfection. Since I wear glasses when viewing, I consider binoculars as a sort of 'extra prescriptive' device that goes in front of my glasses. There's nothing convenient about them, but how else does one open that magic, intimate window into nature that they provide? Its totally worth pursuing the equipment that makes that experience as comfortable and transparent as possible.

There is no 'perfect' binocular for what you're going through. Just keep trying them until something really works for your needs. Like me, you may end up with more than one. And just as well, as you'll have a means to do direct comparisons with equipment you're familiar with. Does this sound like an addict justifying his habit? Perhaps it does...

Have fun with it!

Bill

Bill,

I appreciate the insight. I do not wear glasses while observing, so the eye relief of the B3 8x30 should not be an issue.

Speaking of addiction, I first introduced myself here as a binoholic. A quick mental inventory came to nine binoculars owned currently, three roof and six Porro. They range from 8x25 to 15x70, and a couple are IS. My primary application as been astronomy until recently when I became interested in birding and noticed that roof prism technology had changed quite a bit since I last looked.

I am out of town for a few days and will need to order a demo pair from Maven, but I will post some sort of comment when I get them

Thanks,
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back