• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Idaho Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

I would suggest Western Wood Pewee but without hearing its call it is virtually impossible to be sure. Most likely another in a long list of "what flycatcher is this?"

I would suggest that as the pp is c50% of the tertials...this should preclude the Wood Pewee's as their's...are equal. Looking at 'range' candidates with moderate pp,(not that many) with the grey/brown upperparts, relatively indistinct eye-ring and a contrastingly defined white throat against darker underparts...I'm musing on Willow....with perhaps Dusky and Gray's, as range worthy with comparable wing formula..but all appearing to show somewhat stronger eye-rings...I think if I had to choose..I'd opt for Willow, unless someone can persuade otherwise. ;)

I would suggest that as the pp is c50% of the tertials...this should preclude the Wood Pewee's as their's...are equal. Looking at 'range' candidates with moderate pp,(not that many) with the grey/brown upperparts, relatively indistinct eye-ring and a contrastingly defined white throat against darker underparts...I'm musing on Willow....with perhaps Dusky and Gray's, as range worthy with comparable wing formula..but all appearing to show somewhat stronger eye-rings...I think if I had to choose..I'd opt for Willow, unless someone can persuade otherwise. ;)

Still Dusky for me. I’d expect less prominent wingbars on a Willow & a bigger bill with an all-yellow under-mandible. Too bad about the angle--we’d have a better sense of size & proportion with a full profile view.

Looks quite big-headed to me, which might favour Hammond's over Dusky if you get them in Idaho? Eye-ring does look very narrow though (ie pro Willow/Alder). Surely an empid rather than a pewee though. Defo one for the locals.....

Hammond's/Dusky Flycatcher... bill is too small for Willow. Primary projection to me looks too short for Hammonds, so I'm leaning towards Dusky.

Oh dear, egg on my face on this one(again). Am I allowed to change my vote? I'll go with Hammond's/Dusky. Off to clean my glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back