• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Wagtail, Sinai (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

What's to be made of this?

Since I found it late last March I've assumed it was a first winter moulting into summer garb, but I've seen no other illustrations anywhere or even photos to confirm this.

Am I right in my assumption, or is it something more complicated? 27th March seems late to be still coming out of winter plumage.

EDIT: Oops wrong thread. Meant to put it in the ID section. Can the mods help out?

Attachments

• White-Wagtail,-Sharm-Small-(17) copy.jpg
    White-Wagtail,-Sharm-Small-(17) copy.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 61
Alan, BWP makes reference to moult being halted mid-september irrespective of stage reached and late hatched individuals may moult part of head and body or nothing at all; not sure if this helps.

Might be the answer Alan, but even with an arrested moult, would it not have resumed or been completed by late March? That's where I'm puzzled.

Most of the white wagtails I saw were pretty straightforward, but looking back at some of my photos there were one or two that were 'different'. Could be just moult?

These on 16th March

Attachments

• White-Wagtail-(3)-copy.jpg
    White-Wagtail-(3)-copy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 22
  • White-Wagtail-(7)-copy.jpg
    White-Wagtail-(7)-copy.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 23
Dunno, Svensson states 1st year birds without any black on head can't be positively sexed so maybe this 'state' is an uncommon moult variant that occurs occasionally?

That's what I put it down to at first, but I thought I'd see if the wider world thought the same.

Whatever it is, it was a bloody good looking bird (and tame!).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back