• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species on googlemap - can you find any? (1 Viewer)

sacha

I was very bored at work recently and as I thought 'I know, I will see if I can find any animals on google map!'

This proved harder than I thought. I scanned lake edges in Africa for visible flocks of Flamingo, searched for herds of Elephants, nothing!

The problem is that the images in most countries are not detailed enough

However, I did find something closer to home. It is possible to see the Grey seal colony at the end of Blakeney Point in Norfolk UK !!

My question is. Can anyone find any other animal species viewable from the air on google map?

Good luck

Sacha:t:

There has been a thread on here trying to identify a stork/heron in flight in Africa somewhere I believe.

Thanks. I will have a look for that bird next time I am work then ;)

If anyone knows of any other species I would also be interested

Do you mean google earth as opposed to googlemap? I believe on google earth they've added some highly detailed photos, there's a herd of elephants somewhere in africa. One of the features you turn on somewhere shows you where they are.

Then again, I guess the street view on google map may show some animals somewhere.

I had suggested using this tool when the whooping crane was shot in Indiana last year. It has some interesting implications for crime fighting also...
Vehicles are easy to spot, kind of like elephants.:t:

Yep. But think of other implications.....snow tracks, tire tracks, gut piles, and some 'less commercial' uses of others....infrared, etc.

I like the last two - wasn't expecting anything that detailed!

With regards to the 'crime fighting' previous posts. I have heard rumours that some police have spotted houses with extra condensation on the windows using google street view and found houses used as cannabis growing sites. Not sure if that is true or not!

Don't know how often the photos will be updated though for their use in fighting wildlife crime. My guess is those sorts of criminals move around alot and cover their own tracks well (literaly)

With regards to the 'crime fighting' previous posts. I have heard rumours that some police have spotted houses with extra condensation on the windows using google street view and found houses used as cannabis growing sites. Not sure if that is true or not!

Hmm, that sounds a bit iffy to me. There are all sorts of reasons for condensation in a house - cooking being the obvious one, or running hot water. Especially when it's cold outside.

My housemate works for the Met (not as a copper) and he did tell me that they use infra-red cameras from helicopters to spot houses with warmer lofts - often (but not always) it's people with lamps up there for the cannibis plants. Another pointer is if you see a house that consistently has flocks of pigeons roosting on it - they do stick out when its a terrace and one house has always got birds on it (there are a couple round where I live where we suspect something's going on. On the other hand, they might just have no roof insulation!).

Agree, if they come to get my budding habanero and jalapeno plants, I'm calling my lawyer.
As far as birding, it never occured to me how easy it will be to spot osprey nests this summer. Just look for the cell towers next to the water with google. I don't even have to take the boat out looking. Wait a minute...thats my excuse to go on the boat when the fish aren't biting. I need to rethink this strategy....

I think Googlemaps is detailed only in cities. The only ones I saw were animals in city zoos - you could count flamingos, sealions, cheetah etc.

I tried to look into Namibia and Botswana maps, but the resolution is too low even for a blue whale.

I also saw a photo of 300m long earwig. Don't tell me that it was a normal insect which got into the camera. Google doesn't lie and there really are bugs size of Dune sandworms roaming the countryside! ;) B :)

Thanks for all the posts. I didn't think of looking for Gannets. They are usually visible from planes (for example the flight over to the Isles of Scilly). I even saw a Minke whale once from that flight ... looking down i thought ..wow, a dolphin .. then realised how far up we were and that it could only be a whale!
I will keep searching!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back