• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for Cetti's and Grasshopper Warbler in S Engand (1 Viewer)

Bowland Birders

I have a friend visiting the UK who lives in Africa and wants to see Cetti's and Grasshopper Warblers. He knows it is far from the best time to try to see them but can anyone help with up-to-date info in the south of the Uk please, from midlands southwards? Thanks a lot. PM me if you would rather it was not broadcast. Best regards, Mike

Mike, Minsmere is alive with Cettis warbler right now. They call well but at this time of year are usually quite visable too. Grasshopper will be harder now they're in and settled into breeding but you may get lucky early morning. He'll enjoy Minsmere anyway. I was down at Stodmarsh a couple of weeks back and that was alive with Cettis. Get to any of the big Suffolk/Norfolk reserves and these should be heard and seen but you'll need luck for Gropper I feel. Have a good trip where ever you end up

I have Cetti's on my local patch at Motney Hill, Rainham - but they are a devil to see. They are a real 'bring a chair and a flask' job.

Plenty of Cetti's warblers around Shinewater lake in Eastbourne, East Sussex, many of which are residents through the winter.

Geoff.

Hi Mike,

Cetti's Warbler is easy to find in Southampton's lower Test marshes - it's not the prettiest site in England, but very accessible. With a car you could try your luck at a few neighbouring sites (Testwood Lakes, Romsey's Fishlake Meadows, Itchen Valley country park) for both Cetti's and Grasshopper Warbler. With the New Forest and South Downs around the corner as well you should have a good day down here.

IIRC there were Cetti's at Leighton Moss this year - given your location might be an idea to check there !! Good Luck :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back