• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for Information (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

I am in the planning stage of an Israel trip from 13th to 19th March 2013. We should be able to spend 5 and a half days in the field. The plan is Nizzana/Dead Sea/Mitzpe Ramon/Eilat area etc.

I have visited Israel once before - same time of year. Some very good aspects of that trip but some dips and some logistical failings which left a couple of unexpected gaps as a result of not visiting sites or failing to try for some species.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations/sites/information including in respect of contacts/guides on the following:-
Pharoah Eagle Owl
Hume's Owl
Nubian Nightjar
Egyptian Nightjar
Long-billed Pipit
Cyprus Warbler
Fan-tailed Raven (yes - I know that one is silly!)
Syrian Serin
Sinai Rosefinch
Mountain Bunting

Was there a wintering Crested Honey Buzzard last year? If so, how long did it stay? I presume that mid-March is too late for wintering Saker and too early for White-cheeked Tern?

If you wish to send by PM or request an e-mail address please do so.

Very many thanks to all in advance for any ideas/thoughts.

All the best

Last edited:
Sites for the following -

Long-billed Pipit
Fan-tailed Raven
Syrian Serin
Sinai Rosefinch
Mountain Bunting

on my trip report from last year - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=195515

Flight views of Syrian Serin only, but I believe it is the recommended site. A mate did playback for Long-billed Pipit on a trip a few months earlier and had one at the roadside within seconds ... but some of us have higher standards ... ;)

Hopefully you'll get more info, this just for starters.

I am in the planning stage of an Israel trip from 13th to 19th March 2013. We should be able to spend 5 and a half days in the field. The plan is Nizzana/Dead Sea/Mitzpe Ramon/Eilat area etc.

I have visited Israel once before - same time of year. Some very good aspects of that trip but some dips and some logistical failings which left a couple of unexpected gaps as a result of not visiting sites or failing to try for some species.

I would be very grateful for any recommendations/sites/information including in respect of contacts/guides on the following:-
Pharoah Eagle Owl
Hume's Owl
Nubian Nightjar
Egyptian Nightjar
Long-billed Pipit
Cyprus Warbler
Fan-tailed Raven (yes - I know that one is silly!)
Syrian Serin
Sinai Rosefinch
Mountain Bunting

Was there a wintering Crested Honey Buzzard last year? If so, how long did it stay? I presume that mid-March is too late for wintering Saker and too early for White-cheeked Tern?

If you wish to send by PM or request an e-mail address please do so.

Very many thanks to all in advance for any ideas/thoughts.

All the best

Paul

Syrian Serin should be easy at the football pitch at Mitzpe Ramon, we had a flock there on our trip last year.
I have sites for Mountain Bunting, Fan tailed Raven and Sinai Rosefinch which I can PM although most of these are around Ein Gedi which might be too far north for your trip although Sinai Rosefinch can be reliably see round Amrams Pillars which is closer to Eilat if I recall but we did not try here.

Nubian Nightjars are at Kibbutz Neot Hakikkar at the southern end of the Dead Sea, you won't get them anywhere else. However you will need to have a guide to get in to see them, suggest Yoav Perlman or Barak Granit. You can combine this with Hume's Owls nearby, sites closely guarded (locations that is) to prevent disturbance. Pharaoh Eagle Owl is present at Neot Kakkikar but a little luck is needed. They are also at the Yotvata circular fields, along with Egyptian Nightjar but will need a mega powerful spotlamp and again luck. Egyptian Nightjar was also at Neot Kakkikar this year, superb views, so always a chance it will return next year.

Sinai Rosefinch and Mountain Bunting are reliable at Wadi Salvador, Dead Sea near Ein Gedi but a bit of a drive from Eilat. Didn't see any at Amarams Pillars, or spoke to anyone who had seen them there, last year.

Had Cyprus Warbler at Wadi Mishmar up at southern Dead Sea, they are reliable here and at Wadi Salvador and should still be around mid March but they will mostly be gone by end of the month.

It would seem that a day out at the Dead Sea should provide chances of the bunting, rosefinch, Cyprus Warbler, the 2 owls and the Nightjars, Fan-tailed Ravens (the raven you won't get in Eilat). Morning doing the wadis, go to the Bonelli's Eagle site at Nahal Dragot further up the Dead Sea where will get Fan-tailed Raven and also Mountain Bunting, good for pasage raptors also.

Syrian Serin at Mizpe Ramon football pitch but also at the Alfalfa Fields outside Kibbutz Neot Smadar, north end of the Arava, about 15minutes from Lotan. There was a flock there in March last year but I didn't look for them until they had gone.

I've attached my trip report from this spring, it may give some hints. but for the Dead Sea Specialties contact Barak
http://www.birdersplayground.co.uk/files/ISRAEL 2012.pdf

regards

Last edited:
White-cheeked Tern, to early by over a month

Crested Honey Buzzard was around this winter but very difficult, we didn't see it. Usually it roosts around the north Eilat Date Palms.

Long-billed Pipit, there are a few sites as far south as Sede Boker but I don't have specifics for them, Yoav Perlman would know where they are.

Saker, to late they've usually gone. There is a regular winter site up north of Nizzana but passage birds through the Arava will be scarce, winter trip for this species i'm afraid.

Your time in Eilat will be at the same time as the International Bird Festival so there will be birders out there so you should get daily updates as to whats around.

I'll be back out there from 20th for a couple of weeks.

regards

Very many thanks to all three of you for your help. Plenty to work on. All further information gratefully received.

All the best

My eventual timing was 15th to 20th March - five nights. My final tally was seven out of my ten targets missing Pharoah Eagle Owl (there was a twitchable one by day at K26 on 19th March but we did not hear about it), Cyprus Warbler (a poor winter for the species I understand) and Sinai Rosefinch (despite trying Wadi Salvadori, Wadi Mishmar, Amram's Pillar's and Ein Netaphim - it was seen at Wadi Salvadori shortly after our departure).

I have almost worked up a trip report and will post that later this week.

Many thanks to all again - both on here and those who have published trip reports elsewhere.

All the best

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back