• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone used a Sirui K-40X Ball Head? (1 Viewer)

Anand_Vishwanadha

Hi,

I am looking at using the Sirui K-40X Ball Head in place of my Lensmaster gimbal (on my Sirui R-5214) for my AF-S Nikkor 600 mm f4 ED G VR lens.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Sirui K-40X Ball Head and what they have to say about it.

I know the Sirui K-40X Ball Head is more ideal used with a monopod and I am considering getting the Sirui P-424 Carbon Fiber Monopod (when I can), but to begin with the idea is to use it with my existing Sirui R-5214 CF tripod.

TIA,

Anand

Hi,

I am looking at using the Sirui K-40X Ball Head in place of my Lensmaster gimbal (on my Sirui R-5214) for my AF-S Nikkor 600 mm f4 ED G VR lens.

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Sirui K-40X Ball Head and what they have to say about it.

I know the Sirui K-40X Ball Head is more ideal used with a monopod and I am considering getting the Sirui P-424 Carbon Fiber Monopod (when I can), but to begin with the idea is to use it with my existing Sirui R-5214 CF tripod.

TIA,

Anand

Firstly I can thoroughly recommend the Sirui P424 mono pod. It is the only support that I have that is not Gitzo and, whilst it is much cheaper, it is close in quality and is more than up to the job of supporting any current lens that Nikon or Canon make. Mine is 4+ years old and is still like new despite a fair bit of abuse.

I also have the Sirui K40X and whilst it will support your 600 F4 quite well I would not recommend it for that job.I used to have the Canon 600 F4 L IS (now the 800 F5.6 L IS) and the K40X will cope with these lenses but, to me, it is the wrong tool for the job.If you don't get the friction setting just right there is a real danger of the lens tipping - possibly with expensive/painful results. Even if you do set it right movement will be very restricted and slow with simply no chance of capturing moving subjects. Also I wouldn't use a K40X, or any other ball head on a mono pod - much better to attach the mono pod directly or via an Arca style clamp.

What is it that you don't like about the Lensmaster? Is it the whole idea of a gimbal head or is there specific problem?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back