• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fitting or Re-Fitting Zeiss FL/HT/SF Eyecups (1 Viewer)

hi,

WD40 is a water repellent and NOT a lubricant - the clue is in the name WD = water displacement !!!!!!

Trouble is Gary, it says the following on the can:

Stops Squeaks
Loosens Rusted Parts
Frees Sticky Mechanisms​

And in other walks of life like DIY, car and motorcycle maintenance etc etc it is quite effective.

You can see why people are tempted to use it.

But your advice about not using it on binoculars is certainly to be heeded.

Lee

Lee,
Maybe I should try the WD40 on some of my joints etc.

Why? Are they wet and require water-repellent?

By 'joints' I presume you mean structures allowing articulation between limbs and/or skeleton and not 'spliffs', 'blunts' or 'weeds' or whatever cigarettes containing narcotics are called these days... :eek!:

Lee

Never tried those types of joints Lee, although they were offered in Amsterdam and New York in the swinging 60s.

My Conquest HD eyecups are too short. I should ask for replacements.
In fact nearly all modern eyecups are too short, so binoculars are less steady than they should be for me.

Trouble is Gary, it says the following on the can:

Stops Squeaks
Loosens Rusted Parts
Frees Sticky Mechanisms​

And in other walks of life like DIY, car and motorcycle maintenance etc etc it is quite effective.

You can see why people are tempted to use it.

But your advice about not using it on binoculars is certainly to be heeded.

Lee

Lee
This is why I do wonder about some of the posters on this forum ( note, I say some). The comments made by Gary H given with expert advice are questioned, this guy is possibly the best binocular service engineer in the U.K, with a wealth of experience of servicing / repairing Alpha brands.

Lee
This is why I do wonder about some of the posters on this forum ( note, I say some). The comments made by Gary H given with expert advice are questioned, this guy is possibly the best binocular service engineer in the U.K, with a wealth of experience of servicing / repairing Alpha brands.

Which posts were questioning Gary's advice? Some were having some fun with WD40 but I did not read them as questioning Gary's recommendation.

Lee

MAK
We are an opionionated and argumentative bunch on Bird Forum but nobody has questioned Gary's advice in this thread at all.

The purpose behind listing those claims from the WD40 can, which suggest lubricating properties contradicting Gary's statement, was to finish the post saying that Gary's advice should nevertheless be followed.

We all appreciate Gary's posts and if he has the time to post more frequently in the future we would all benefit from his experience.

Lee

hi,

WD40 is a water repellent and NOT a lubricant - the clue is in the name WD = water displacement !!!!!!

And because it is a water repellent it is virtually impossible to clean off once it has been applied - the only good thing is that it earns repairers a fortune because they normally double the price to repair anything that smells of WD40.

It's like the extra charge you hand out after a person tries to follow all the neat repair tips found on binocular forums. I think that works out to about 8% more, annually. Heck, techs have to eat, too. :cat:

Gary, I have a pm coming for you, tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back