• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between birding and bird watching? (1 Viewer)

I think there was a history involved in coining the terms in English. Originally people were naturalists and the specialty was ornithology, then the hobby became quite popular and people started using the term "bird watching." That term however became more and more attached to the image of old ladies in tennis shoes and developed a certain lack of coolness (it reached its epitome in the old TV comedy The Beverly Hillbillies, if anyone remembers Miss Jane Hathaway and her bird watching group commanded by Wally Cox dressed in a mockery of the British Boy Scouts uniform, always on a quest to find and protect a California Condor). Where was I... anyway, I believe the term 'birding' was coined in a successful effort to leave that sort of association behind, and of course people engaged in the sport of birding of course became 'birders.'

No one has mentioned the term 'pisher' here so I'll leave it alone myself. I just wish I could post a photo of Wally Cox's TV birding group, it makes everything clear.

^^^ One may peruse some of the above "Beverly Hills Birdwatchers" photos at the link. Professor Twiddle, the only human to ever live on intimate terms with the California Condor (and incidentally, the show was incredibly popular in the 1960s and I believe the public exposure did the condor cause a lot of good back then). I'm just not so sure the Prof was played by Wally Cox now however.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=beve...hXs1IMKHbvgBx0Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=8Akejc_LK34LMM:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back