Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 15:38   #1
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Down load problem

I recently changed from a Canon 7Dmk11 to a 5D mkiv and am using Lightroom 5.7.1 64 bit and cannot open the photos any suggestions?I also have FastStone Image Viewer and this opens them with no problem.

Geoff

Last edited by Geoff Pain : Thursday 21st December 2017 at 15:51.
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 16:02   #2
Dave Williams

Adobe stopped issuing camera updates for old versions of Photoshop so I presume they have for Lightroom too. They want you to upgrade the the monthly payment plan to be able to use the latest camera RAW's. I had the same problem with my 1DX2.
There are two ways I have found to get round it.
1) Open your files in Canon's DPP programme and convert to a TIFF file. Problem is it's a very slow and tedious process and you have to convert one at a time.Big files too.
2) Download a free DNG converter from Adobe. It will convert a large number of RAWs pretty quickly and these, like TIFF's, can then be opened and processed in old versions of Photoshop.There doesn't seem to be any gain by going down the bigger file TIFF route from what I can see.
For what I want to do with an image there is no discernible difference between CS6 and the latest online version. I used online for a year but when they bumped the price by 50% I went back to CS6.
Old Thursday 21st December 2017, 17:32   #3
Sandpiper
Mike Powell

My wife had a similar problem with her Panasonic G80 RAWs not being recognized in Elements 14. As Dave suggested above, she used the free Adobe DNG converter instead to save upgrading to Elements 15. It is possible to batch convert the RAWs into TIFFs which can then be edited in 14. The TIFFs have a much greater file size than the original RAWs so, to save hard drive space, she deletes the TIFFs after editing.

We have had this problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements nearly every time we upgrade our cameras and consider Adobe are becoming rather greedy lately by not issuing updates to their previous programmes and almost insisting that you install the latest version.

Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: