Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 10:04   #1
Darkus_Markus

Black Throated Divers

Hello,

Itís an ambition of mine to see a summer plumage Black Throated Diver this year.

I live in London, and noticed there was one at Abberton Reservoir last May.

I realise that thereís always a possibility of seeing one down here in the south but thatís always going to be quite a random occurrence.

Iím wondering if anyone can recommend quite a specific location where I'm most likely to see one / some ?

Iím considering a trip to the Cairngorms in the summer, and Iíll be travelling to the Danish island of Bornholm in June so could potentially make a detour to areaís not too far from Ystad in Sweden.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 10:25   #2
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments

You may not get specific information on the open forum regarding breeding areas, as they're so much at risk from eggers.

We had a Scottish Bash in the Nethybridge area some years ago and found 4 on a loch near there, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Generally, I think, you'd probably have more luck seeing one further north-west. They could be on any loch, but Red-throated would be more common.

Please, people, use the PM system for any specifics.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 11:32   #3
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
You may not get specific information on the open forum regarding breeding areas, as they're so much at risk from eggers.

We had a Scottish Bash in the Nethybridge area some years ago and found 4 on a loch near there, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Generally, I think, you'd probably have more luck seeing one further north-west. They could be on any loch, but Red-throated would be more common.

Please, people, use the PM system for any specifics.
You don't need to reveal breeding areas. A spring staging area, anywhere that has the species after/during moult before they migrate.

Owen
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish...68230526570236
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 12:51   #4
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

I've seen such pre breeding full plumaged birds in Largo Bay if memory serves, late March/early April. Just off shore in beautiful light, flat calm sea. I can close my eyes and picture it perfectly, even if my recall of precise location, date & year are a little wobbly....
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 19:09   #5
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Had a cracking view of a pair in full breeding plumage at Aultbea Harbour last year.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2018, 11:22   #6
Darkus_Markus

Thanks guys, all sound great. A good starting point to plan some visits in there.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 19:15   #7
andyadcock

Why don't you just visit the breeding grounds, you'll get stunning views on a lake in e.g Finland plus lots more stuff besides?

One of the highlights of last summer for me was during our camping trip to the Arctic. We were sat by the campfire on a wonderful lake at about 10pm when a bird flew in and sat calling on the lake which was a first for me, never heard any Diver vocalise in life.

A
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 23:01   #8
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Why don't you just visit the breeding grounds, you'll get stunning views on a lake in e.g Finland plus lots more stuff besides?

One of the highlights of last summer for me was during our camping trip to the Arctic. We were sat by the campfire on a wonderful lake at about 10pm when a bird flew in and sat calling on the lake which was a first for me, never heard any Diver vocalise in life.

A
You can see them at RSPB Loch Ruthven, so Andy is right go to the breeding grounds, although not quite as far as Finland.

David
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 06:52   #9
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
You can see them at RSPB Loch Ruthven, so Andy is right go to the breeding grounds, although not quite as far as Finland.

David
Though, bare in mind, factoring in advance booking, it is entirely possible that you could get return flights to Helsinki (or elsewhere in the nordics) as cheap as driving up to Scotland and back (depending on where you're driving from of course), whilst yes, getting a few more nice species than you would not get in Scotland. Do the maths, put budgets down in a spreadsheet and see which is worth your investment.

Owen
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 11:40   #10
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Though, bare in mind, factoring in advance booking, it is entirely possible that you could get return flights to Helsinki (or elsewhere in the nordics) as cheap as driving up to Scotland and back (depending on where you're driving from of course), whilst yes, getting a few more nice species than you would not get in Scotland. Do the maths, put budgets down in a spreadsheet and see which is worth your investment.

Owen
Where's Paul when you need him!

I remember some years ago on a small fishing lake in Nottingham, a BtD arrived in autumn I think it was. The lake wasn't big enough for it to take off, the result was that it remained until spring and we were all able to watch it develop in to it's magnificent, summer plumage before it was caught and returned to the coast to be freed.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 13th January 2018 at 11:44.
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 21:23   #11
david kelly
Drive-by Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

Owen
But bear in mind that beer and food will be less expensive in Scotland, and, according to most of the Nordics I’ve met, the beer is better too.

David
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 00:35   #12
Ratal

Little Loch Shin. Lairg. They paddle around not 30 feet from shore utterly unfazed by humans.
Old Sunday 14th January 2018, 06:03   #13
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david kelly View Post
But bear in mind that beer and food will be less expensive in Scotland, and, according to most of the Nordics Iíve met, the beer is better too.

David
I would raise issue with the smear on beer quality (depending on the beer of course), but not the price. Food prices are fairly equivalent unless eating in a sit-down restaurant, where there is on average a 30/40% higher cost.

You can balance that out by choosing eateries with the very typical and common all you can eat buffets. Swings and round abouts I guess, but as an example, I very recently helped out a couple of young birders from Ireland, whose original intention had been to twitch just Hawk Owl.

http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi/...eland.html?m=1

They went home with a little bit more than that.

Owen
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 12:37   #14
Paul Longland

if you are in the cairngorm region Lochindorb is worth a go. Also holds breeding red grouse, golden plover and Ospreys regularly fish there.
Old Monday 15th January 2018, 18:46   #15
Darkus_Markus

Thanks for the suggestions, ideas and scintillating tales of encounters with this beautiful bird.

In my mind I was planning a trip for a Long weekend at most, which is why Scotland initially seemed more appealing than travelling further afield.

The sheer density of them in Finland sounds amazing, perhaps I need a rethink about how long my trip could be.

As always it comes down to time and money. I’m certainly not an expert birder either, so anywhere where the odds of a sighting are more in my favour is a bonus.

Cheers
Old Yesterday, 22:49   #16
CARERY

If you go to Bornholm in June I think there even might be a chance to see one there. At the Southern Baltic coast regularly there are a few summering birds, some in breeding plumage. At some places (like off Northern Rugia or off peninsula Darss) with luck they can be seen at quite low distance.

I would be surprised if there are none off Bornholm in summer. Question is how to get to know about there favourit places... I don't know.

Still, nothing beats the magic of a calling Diver at the breeding grounds!!!

http://birds-in-flight.net
Old Today, 08:08   #17
Welsh Peregrine

If you go to Finland, they are really confiding on Lake Saami where there is also the endemic inland subspecies of Ringed Seal.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: