• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pelagic birds from Sydney coast, help needed (1 Viewer)

kungsfiskare

I had the good fortune to be in Sydney in November during a hard storm. The locals weren't too excited about it, but it gave me my first chance to see some pelagic seabird. So I promptly headed to Magic Point in Sydney and spent a couple of hours taking photographs of albatross and shearwaters. Now the only question is what did I see? Here's a link to a few of the better pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/image/89243826

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers from Sweden,

Michael Gehrisch

Undecided on your first row but it's big, your second row is a Wandering/Royal type, whilst your third row is a Mollyhawk. Grey-headed is my gut feel, but I need to brush up on these. Back shortly - and the Shearwaters... they should be easy enough - being dark under-winged and apparently wedge-tailed.

Last edited:
Thanks Jane! My first time in Australia, and having missed the pelagic tours boat, I figured I didn't need to buy a book over Australien birds. On the other hand if I had bought the book, there probably would have been no storm ;-)

First bird is a Shy Albatross, not sure which subspecies.
As Jane said, second bird is a Wandering or Royal Albatross, Royal is pretty rare off NSW, so it is most likely a Wandering.
Third, I think is a young Black-browed or Campbell Albatross, some would say that they're the same species anyway.
The final bird, or birds, are Wedge-tailed Shearwaters

Hey, first bird looks like a juvenile Shy Albatross.

Second is most likely adult Antipodean Albatross, though could be a Gibson's, but both are considered the same species anyhow.

Third is a juvenile black-browed Albatross.

And spot on with the Wedge-tailed Shearwater.

Cheers
Damien

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back