• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At last they are a garden tick! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

At long last I have Black-headed Gulls as a garden tick!:D
They came down into my garden this morning after I had thrown below one of my feeders crumbled scones, seed and a few leftover chips and rice from last night's chinese takeaway!o:D
The Woodpigeons were not amused as 8 of them looked on from the top of my conifer hedge! The Magpies were not too impressed either! I waited patiently for the gulls to land properly to take a pic! They circled and circled my garden almost making me dizzy! Three out of the four circling eventually landed at one time. They must be hungry...poor things! I did throw more scones out later for my Blackbirds though!;)

Anyone else had a new garden tick?

Attachments

• P1180985.jpg
    P1180985.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 44
  • P1180987.jpg
    P1180987.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 30
  • P1180991.jpg
    P1180991.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P1180992.jpg
    P1180992.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1180993.jpg
    P1180993.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 32
Well done Pam' it's always nice to get another tick, whether it's life, year, or garden list. There are some striking pics there.

All the best.
Baz.

Last edited:
Interesting addition there, Pam and some good pics too. My last garden tick was the siskin from last week. I thought that the attached gull (on my neighbour's roof) was going to descend in to my front garden the other day, but the jackdaws saw it off before it had chance!

Attachments

• Gull.jpg
    Gull.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 28
Nice one Pam. Its strange but they do like to come to some thing sweet. Cake and biscuts seem to bring them down more than bread here. As to the garden ticks i had a Siskin last week and that was the first new bird since the big garden bird watch when a song thrush returned.

Nice tick Pam :t:
and smashing photos!

But I reckon it was the chips not the
scones that attracted them ;)

Cheers

Thanks everyone for your replies. I forgot to mention that the photo's were taken through a double glazed window....that is why the colour is a bit..well....yucky! I hope the gulls return tomorrow, I have stocked up on cheapy scones today!o:D

Very impressive Pam!!

Those Gulls certainly enjoy their chips:-O

As far as new ticks are concerned for our own garden, we haven't seen anything unusual since the Moorhen a couple of years ago!!

Matt

Great going Pam! We often get Commons and LBBs round, but the little blighters have never landed yet. Good shots of them.

Sue.

You have achieved something now Pam. I've tried for a long time to get them down. They circle regularly, landing on the roof if I throw them a bit of bread, but won't come down. You got some nice pics of them even if they were taken through the window. No new ticks here for 18 months so I must be due one |=)|.

Thanks all for your replies!|^|

I shall look out for the cheap Hot X buns, Wendy!:t:

The gulls didn't pay a return visit today...perhaps they found some hot X buns in someone's garden!;)
Hope you get them soon Sue and Roy!

Matt, a Moorhen! :eek!:How wonderful!:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back