• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (1 Viewer)

The gull shape is quite good, but i don't think the hard-edged shadow helps describe the form at all. This type of lighting effect need to be really closely studied for it to work properly. I'd be tempted to make a fresh version and be a tad less severe with the tone. Look back to your other flight studies.

Not alot about today, Marsh Harriers, Barn Owl in the Box, a few lapwings, and a 3 Shelducks.....These were done from the photos, as they were too far away to do in the hide through the scope.......light pencil with loose colour seems to work for me at the moment. I think if i have time this week, Ill try a more detailed one, and do a little each night to give it some drying time.
DSCN1017.JPG DSCN1019.JPG

Thanks Tim, They certainly feel better...had a quick look at your Shelducks on yer Gallery......Long way to go yet, but I now know to slow down and not to it all in 10 minutes.....use smaller brushes rather than keep picking up the biggest and enjoy it more..

Sitting at Home waiting for a Doctors Appointment, so I thought I would get some more practice in...Taken from an old Photo this time I've included the surrounding water to give a sense of placement. Still very loose and no detail, which Im happy with at the moment.
DSCN1021.JPG

Not wanting to get bored with Shelducks, I went back to the Avocets, 'cept this time i made the mistake of not slowing down, and so Im not sure if this one is any good....
DSCN1023.JPG

Last edited:
Getting Bigger

Ive acquired a brand new 10" x 14" pad of Crimson and Blake, which means that im going a bit bigger this time......and have managed to slow right down in the process. The previous versions mave all been done in a short period of time, but now I feel the need to add more detail to the work. So here the first few shots of work in progress.
DSCN1026.JPG DSCN1027.JPG
Im certainly enjoying this a bit more, and not feeling that i have to get it all done in five minutes flat.

Last edited:
Even the grey missling rain, ment that the sketching was minimal. A small page of field sketches which was coloured later in the warmth of the study, after a large mug of Tea....
DSCN0482.JPG

Is it finished....?

So how do you know when somthing is done and finished, I could spend more time fiddling with bits and pieces, until I overstep the line and ruin it, If I think its done, others can leap in and tell me whats missing, if they had done it, or advise me that id gone too far with it......
Anyway, I think its done....Ive taken onboard the advice, use different size brushes for different parts, taken longer and allowed it to dry, and above all - enjoyed it.
Its still 'my style' and devoid of deep detail, for the moment, but i guess Im happy with it so far..........................
DSCN0484.JPG

Just starting a frosty winter scene over the Marshes (from a photograph), and have laid in the background. Bit of trouble around the 'rising sun', and so im wondering if i could get away with adding somthing using a Ink dipping pen around the sun or would that be too much. Most of the foreground is dark, and the gate / woodwork will be greys fading into the background..The wildlife element in this case will be geese passing through
Thoughts please.....
DSCN0485.JPG

I think I can confidently say, Im not ready to do Landscapes........It never felt right, doesnt look right, and Im not happy the way its gone....I wont bin it, but keep it as a 'What not to do' next time reminder......Couldnt even be bothered to but the flook of geese into it, incase it made it worse
DSCN0487.JPG
So the good news is Im returning to real Wildlife, and try to get the detail into somthing.....Ive gone big, slowed down, and used more than one brush, so now is the time for a bit more detail methinks....
Damn this learning curve....:smoke:

But I rather like this! Really, you've captured the light perfectly here (and I like its peacefulness sans the intended geese).

But I rather like this! Really, you've captured the light perfectly here (and I like its peacefulness sans the intended geese).

Andrew,

I agree with Jomo, I love the watery sunlight. The open gate leaves you wanting to go on and expecting more.

Rainy Day

It too wet to go out this morning, so quick sketches from stock photos to keep the mind and fingers working.....loose style with a splash of colour
DSCN0513.JPG

Very uninspiring morning, Fog everwhere, although I did manage to get some 'grab' photos of lapwings in flight which i may sketch at a latter date, and white swans in the mist ?????. Also, Afew more shots of Shelducks will keep me going for months to come...
A quick sketch of a Common Tern from stock photos is this mornings attempt to keep motivated.
1.jpg

Thanx Tim, Its still alot easier in the studio than out in the field, having said that, the page of Shelduck thumnails was done in the field and coloured afterwards.......I feel that things are slowly getting better, and im getting abit more confident each time....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back