• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss 85 (1 Viewer)

ori76

Hi!

I finally purchased the 85T with the 20-60 eypiece. I have just used it 2 times (Yosemite, Hawaii) and I am very happy with it.

But... there is allways a but... I just have realiced here in Spain that at 20x the eypiece has something like a hair right in the middle of the galss. It dissapears at 30x or more but at 20x you can see it clearly. I do not know if I did not notice it in the shop, or it just appeared later. So anyone knows what it could be (A hair, a scratch...)

I guess it will be covered by the guerantee as I feel it is not posible to fix. I tried cleaning it on both sides of the eypiece but it is on the inside.

Any tips will be welcome.

regards

Ricardo

Sounds like it could be something on the prisms-my Opticron Piccolo has this badly but then again it did cost £40 and I certainly wouldn't expect it to happen on a considerably more expensive and better scope such as yours.

I would contact Zeiss ASAP-their customer service is meant to be great (one of the reasons I hope to get the same scope later in the year)

I don't think this is on the prism. The focal plane of the Zeiss zoom eyepiece happens to fall on one of the internal glass surfaces at 20x, so any detritus on the glass will be in focus and quite visible. As you zoom to a higher magnification the focal plane shifts and anything on that surface gradually goes out of focus and disappears. A hair that's been inside the eyepiece all along could have only recently settled onto the glass. I can also see a few specks in my Zeiss zoom at 20x.

Thanks

Yes, I will contact Zeiss but my home internet acces is broken and I allways forget to bring to work the guarantee card of the eypice.

Ori, I am sorry you are having trouble with your new Zeiss scope, well I guess the eyepiece. Good luck with this. I hope you had a good time in the U.S.
Regards,Steve

Thanks.

When I order all my photos I will post what I have seen and also I will ask for help in some identifications.

The trip in the USA has been great. More than expected, and not only "bird" speaking

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back