• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English Lake District 4th-11th June 2004 - Brackenrigg Barn - 1/4 (1 Viewer)

IanF

As a change from Scotland where we have visited for the last two years we decided on spending a week in the Lake District this year. We visit the Lakes regularly through the year, but many parts are a little too remote to cover in a day visit. It wasn’t a birding holiday as such, but we did fit in a fair bit of bird watching.

The holiday got off to a good start when we arrived at our accommodation for the week – Brackenrigg Barn, Naddle which lies two miles south of Keswick on the road to Thirlmere. It’s a converted stone barn divided into three ‘cottages’ all very modern and clean. A quick look around soon revealed a pair of Common Redstart nesting in the slate wall of the barn. They obviously had young as both parents were regularly taking in food the whole time we were there. The small wooden stable beside the barn housed two sheep and was shared with a pair of Spotted Flycatcher which were still in the process of nest building, though half way through the week they stopped taking in moss and I suspect eggs had been laid.

Brackenrigg also had it’s own small wood at the rear which were private, just for use of the guests. This made them very quiet and secluded. They have recently been replanted with Alder and have yet to reach their full potential. There are some mature trees. A Cuckoo was about every day but I never did spot it. In all we managed 36 species either in or over the grounds. Sightings were only from mornings and evenings as we spent the days elsewhere.

Common Redstart
Northern Wheatear
Swift
Black headed Gull
Swallow
Kestrel
Starling
Spotted Flycatcher
Dunnock
Great Tit
Magpie
Cuckoo
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
House Martin
Linnet
Mistle Thrush
Wren
Nuthatch
Robin
Willow Warbler
Blackbird
Pied Wagtail
Greylag Geese
Canada Geese
Buzzard
Mute Swan
Meadow Pipit
Wood Pigeon
Skylark
Chaffinch
Song Thrush
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Crow
Raven
Grey Wagtail
Blue Tit
Coal Tit

A pair of Buzzards used to settle on the cliffs opposite and could be seen most days as with the rest of the birds on the list.

Last edited:
Not a bad list that you have seen.They are really great photos.

It looks a really lovely place to stay but the Lakes are my favourite area of the UK

Good read Ian, and the photos are absolutely mint. Never seen a Redstart, but I am currently looking for one.

Sounds like you had a good time there Ian. Neil and I have been together nearly seven years and for the past six summers have holidayed in the Lake District...it's a bit of a standing joke at work!
This year though we are not having a holiday as Neil has just started a new job. I think the only time we'll get up to the Lakes is next Sunday for the Oop North Bash...we are planning to have a couple of days there as he doesn't have to be back at work until Tuesday.

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back