• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Port Harcourt, Nigeria - Birding contacts (1 Viewer)

Dan drough

Is anyone familiar with this part of Nigeria or do you have contacts of expat or local birders? I may be going out there for a while so it would be good to know something beforehand.

Hi,

I was down there in the mid 80's and found the birding very productive. I don't have any contacts I'm afraid, but you would probably be able to get some information from any of the big oil companies based there. Shell etc..or through the Hash House Harriers.

Here is a link to Fatbirder, where there is some information on Nigeria, may dig something up from there.

http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/africa/nigeria.html

An intimidating, yet thrilling birding experience. Also, I cannot recommend the new Helm Guide to the Birds of Western Africa highly enough. Don't go without it.

Cheers, Alister

Thanks Alister
I was in Bonny Island for 3 years which was excellent for birding (coast / forest) lots of species I saw were miles away according to Borrow/Demey. Before that I was up un N Nigeria which was also good - esp Hadeja Wetlands.
I look regularly at Fatbirder but all Nigeria links are inactive or just a tag webpage (except the recent trip report which is excellent).
The tip about Hash HArriers will befollowed up - did you have any specific locations to visit (if you can recall the names!).
I see you are out i nMalaysia (lucky sod!).
Cheers

There used to be a global search page for the Hash House Harriers, listing which cities, town etc have a chapter. Not sure if Port Harcourt has one, but there a whole bunch of oil companies etc in town, so there should be some social events. I have a couple of non-birding mates working there.

We're off to British Colombia for 3 months on the 28th July, so looking forward to a temperate climate, MAlaysia sounds great, but the birding can be slow, slow slow!! Back here for November though, by far the best month for variety.

All the best,

Alister
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/7317

Any Progress on Port Harcourt Info ?

Dan drough said:
Is anyone familiar with this part of Nigeria or do you have contacts of expat or local birders? I may be going out there for a while so it would be good to know something beforehand.

Hi Dan, I'd be very interested to hear about any information or experiences that you gleaned about Port Harcourt, as I am due to be spending a week there on business in mid-October.

Regards, Chris Jones
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back