• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Extinct breeders of the NW" (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I have always wondered why Nightjar are more or less extinct in the North West. If they do breed then obviously it is a secret but the number of sightings in Lancashire is maybe a couple a year at the most or even gaps of 2-3 years?

They may occur a bit more frequently in Merseyside ,Cheshire and Greater Manchester. I have no idea about Cumbria. Are there breeding populations there or even regular non-breeding visitors? There appears to be fairly decent numbers in Yorkshire including North Yorkshire as well as Southern Scotland. What is wrong with the North West? Nightjar appear to be quite broad habitat wise - heaths, moorland, open forest, marsh (?), dunes..

On the North West they did occur at the Formby and Ainsdale Dunes, Simonswood Moss, Longridge Fell too name but a few. Could Nightjar recolonise? There are populations in Staffs, North Yorksire, Derbyshire and Southern Scotland. I know population is falling but faster in some areas than others. Are there any projects to encourage Nightjar to re-establish?

Turtle Dove is another bird that has disappeared from the North West but they had a pair at Fairburn Ings last summer. I have no idea if they bred but they stayed for some time. I know they are ruthlessly hunted but any reason why the north western population disappeared whilst a few occur in Yorkshire? I do realise that even in their south-east strong hold these birds are suffering. They have one or two turning up in Lancashire and Cheshire and probably Merseyside and Greater Manchester on a yearly basis but where is the nearest breeding population?

Nightingales are another bird which have dramatically declined. However, even before the decline they were rare in the North-west. They have had very few records. Any reason for this? Have they ever bred in the North West? Where is the nearest population now? Northants?

There appears to be fairly decent numbers in Yorkshire including North Yorkshire as well as Southern Scotland. What is wrong with the North West? Nightjar appear to be quite broad habitat wise - heaths, moorland, open forest, marsh (?), dunes..

On the North West they did occur at the Formby and Ainsdale Dunes, Simonswood Moss, Longridge Fell too name but a few. Could Nightjar recolonise? There are populations in Staffs, North Yorksire, Derbyshire and Southern Scotland. I know population is falling but faster in some areas than others. Are there any projects to encourage Nightjar to re-establish?

There's a few sites in North East Wales too.

James

Which areas and what type of habitat they prefer?

This is something that should not be discussed openly. Remember the old wartime posters "Careless talk costs lives". In this case those of rare birdies and their unborn progeny if you catch my drift.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back